Chapter 34: Flashbacks

Start from the beginning

For a moment I remember thinking it was a drug addict that had came to visit. Confusion creasing my mind. But then he turned around.

Pookie turned around in all his glory.

Eyes bloodshot and bags down to his cheeks, no haircut, clothes dirty, and I couldn't smell him but I knew he couldn't have smelled good. 

His eyes meet mine and he is still for a moment before he picks up the phone. 

I stand in place looking at him for more than a few seconds, hoping my face can say more than my words. 

I sit down and pick up the phone then place it to my ear. My heart beating out of my chest. 

Already I know something is terribly wrong. 

"Yo." I speak first. "Why do you look like that?" 

He laughs and it remains a smile. Bright and lingering but off. Not like any of the smiles I've seen from Pookie before and I've seen him smile since he was five years old. 

"Trev. These niggas aint shit boy." He says to me, excitement filling his eyes. 

"What niggas? And why do you look like that, man. Are you on something? Have you been drinking?" I say low into the phone moving closer to the window. 

"Nigga, I'm fine. I'm trying to tell you that them niggas is pussy yo." He is serious now, the smile wiped away from his lips.

"Who's pussy?" I question.

"Julius's mans. They really thought they was bout to get aw-" 

"AY!" I scream into the phone before he can continue. Had he forgotten where he was? All these calls are being monitored, everything is on camera.

"What the fuck is wrong with you, Pookie?" I question stern. 

He chuckles and puts his head down before it pops back up again. 

"I took care of it, is what I'm trying to say. That's what I'm trying to say to you." He motions with his hand."That's what I'm tryna say."

I stare at him, my eyes wide and wild. I knew what he meant but I didn't want to ask anymore questions and I didn't want him to be there anymore. 

I knew what he meant. 

I knew.

I knew as soon as I saw the back of his fucked up little head that he wasn't okay. That he had done something out of character. And now, I watch as it eats him alive in front of me. 

"Listen to me." I say, my voice breaking slightly. "You need to leave and I don't just mean here. You need to LEAVE." 

"Man, you buggin. I ain't goin nowhere." He mumbles moving back on his chair. 

He laughs again, spastic. 

"Should have saw his face." He adds.

"POOKIE! Get the fuck out!" I scream. 

The gaurd looks at me momentarily confused. I signal to him an apology for screaming. 

Pookie's eyes stare at me hard. As if for a moment I've gotten through to him. 

Tears roll down my face. 

"I love you man but you need to leave... and I swear to God you better not be on no shit. I'll beat your ass as soon as I'm out this bitch. Please go. Get a plane ticket, my mom has some extra money. Go see her. She's gonna check if you on no shit and let me know. She's gonna give you some money. Take it. Get your clothes. Get the fuck out until I get out of here. Do you understand?" I whisper stern.

Pookie's eyes look scared for a moment. He swallows hard. I get a small glimpse of a lost child, scared and alone.

"No one saw me do-" He begins.

"I swear to God if you say ONE MORE-" I begin.

"HEY!" The guard's deep voice yells. I apologize again for being loud. "Nope, visiting times are over. Let's go." The guard snaps back. 

"Do what I told you to do. NOW!" I say before I hang up the phone. 

Pookie remains seated on the chair, his breathing sharp and visible. His scared eyes watch me leave. 

I held his glare and turned around before I let him see my eyes begin to water. 

_______________________ 

"Ma, please help him. He needs you right now." I whisper low into the phone. My hands cup the receiver so no one else can hear me. 

I haven't been able to shower for a few days as rival gangs occupy the bathrooms until they settle whatever beef they have going on. You learn not to complain, not to get involved. You learn that eventually in this place, things figure themselves out. Whoever is supposed to get jumped, gets jumped and then things go back to whatever normal is in jail. 

I can smell myself through my clothes and my jumpsuit shaves me in more places than I can imagine. My mother sounds lost on the phone and worried. I can tell she wants to cry but she holds back. 

"Baby, I just don't understand. Please explain to me what's going on." She pleads. 

"I can't, I just need you to check on him, make sure he's healthy then give him the $500 for the plane ticket." I say calmly, hoping that my calm will make her calm. 

"I had the doctor run some tests, there are drugs in his system, Trevon. I can't be involved in whatever Pookie is tied up in. " She admits. I feel a lump in my throat and a rock in my chest. 

"What?" I question, needing to hear it again. 

"We found different substances in his bloodstream... and it's not marijuana. We found that too but I know that's not why you asked me to test him." She adds. 

"What was it?" I question trying not to let her hear how upset I was getting but it's hard to hide that from Mom. 

"It's bad baby. It's bad." She mumbles. 

"Where is he now?" I question. 

"We're preparing him for release. We had him over night and he's doing a lot better. Going through a bit of withdrawal but we can't keep him and not have him on the books, I'll lose my job." She whispers hurt. 

"He's going to come by the house tonight. Just give him the money and an extra couple hundred, take it from the money Chanel's been sending." I say begging. 

"Okay. Where is he going?" Ma asks. 

"Ma please with the questions. Just do what I'm asking. It will be over soon." I answer. 

She sighs and sniffles a bit. 

"Ma..." I call quietly. 

She breathes into the phone and when she talks I can barely understand. 

"I raised you all, I just don't understand what's going on. You're in jail, Pookie is on that shit. Where did I go wrong? What did I do?" She cries now, her voice muffled and distorted. 

Tears come to my eyes. I scan the hall before I bring my wrists up to wipe the water from my face. 

"Let me know when he leaves for the flight. Thank you." I say before hanging up the phone. 

I clear my throat and walk out to the hallway where a guard escorts me back to my cell.