Chapter 3: Where it All Began

"It all started with a party. Evelin wanted to go so badly and I was the one with the car. I told her it was a bad idea, that dad – well that he wouldn't like it. She insisted, she's fourteen and is, well ... was, in love with this boy and he'd be there so she just had to go. I was in love once, and one look at her and I knew the decision had been made, we were going. Anything to make her happy." As the words left my tongue a stream of longing ran down my spine and spread through the rest of my body like a wave, one of the big ones that knocks you on your ass and causes you to flip over one too many times and shoves salt water down your throat and up your nose in the process. Officer Morgan just looked at me with a sort of pathetic, yet genuine gaze.

After a long pause I resumed the tale. I can see it in my mind so clearly, it was supposed to be a night to just be us, without the labels or the taunts, just two sisters in love with the idea of freedom. She was my best friend. I've never been one for parties, crowds are intimidating, especially ones full of strangers, but Evelin needed this. I hadn't seen her smile like that since before mom died. We watched the party from the sidelines, well I did, Evie was too busy frantically scanning the mass for Dillon. After about thirty minutes of clutched red cups and sideway shared glances at the expense of those too far gone, a rigorous game of flip cup began on the dining room table. I left Evelin rocking back and forth on her feet in the corner and took my place on the right side of the table. She shouted a half-hearted reminder about me being the DD, though her smile sang a different tune, and threw in a small salute as I sauntered away.

Three games later, I glanced at the corner to notice Evie had left her faithful spot and assumed she'd finally found Dillon. The guy standing next to me raised his hand indicating a high five, flashing his winning smile. We locked eyes and he leaned down and whispered, "You wanna get out of here?" Startled, I stumbled backward slightly and felt a strong arm cradle my back. The last thing I remember is his hot lips shoved against mine, swallowing my desperate attempts to call for help. I woke to a scream and looked up to find Evie standing in the doorway of a room I didn't recognize, clasping her hands over her mouth, eyes wider than the Red Sea. She managed to get us home, tears running down her face and a caring hand placed on my forehead.

Stumbling through the front door, a light appeared as did a 6' 4", 260 lb male with white hair and a scowl. "Skye was raped" the words hung, sinking, taking root. Dad shifted into the light, revealing a bat in his hand, "Good to know you're not intruders, would be a shame if I were to-" Whack! The bat crashed across Evie's face, denting her skull. I stood in shock, a couple stray tears disappearing down my face. He hit her again. Again. Again. Until she lay limp on the ground in a pool of her own blood. Leaving as silently as he came, with a swift swing of the bat in my direction as if to say "you're next". I barely managed to call for help and held her in my lap until the paramedics came, mourning her untimely demise.