Chapter Twenty-Four

When Cordelia walked down the stairs and into the dining room, the first thing she noticed was the giddy expression that her mother wore upon her face. She was sitting at the long dining table, a cup of tea in front of her, and was reading a small piece of paper that was in her hand. Alastair was sitting beside her, also interested in what was written on the paper; he wore a serious expression on his face.

"Oh, Layla!" Sona exclaimed when she noticed her daughter. "I have some great news!"

"What is it, Maman?" Cordelia asked, curiously.

"Tessa Herondale and I have set the date for yours and James' wedding." Excitement was evident in her mother's eyes. "It is to be only in a few days."

Cordelia's eyes widened. "A few days? Oh, Maman, I had thought that you would at least consult me before you planned my wedding date."

Cordelia felt stunned; she had known that of course she would be marrying James but had not expected it to happen so soon. It suddenly felt very real and the weight of his Herondale family ring, that he had given her, felt very heavy on her finger. She would be marrying James in less than a week and Cordelia swallowed hard. Matthew then came into her mind and for some reason, her stomach dropped. Although she knew that she could never be with him regardless, she could not help the disappointment she felt. But at the same time, Cordelia felt excited to be marrying James. It felt as if her feelings were split in half.

"I did not feel that you would mind, Layla." Her mother spoke. "Please make sure that you are home this evening for six o'clock. A seamstress is going to come so you can pick out your wedding dress."

Your wedding dress. Cordelia felt a bit dizzy and she rested her hands on the chair in front of her to steady herself. Her mother did not seem to notice Cordelia's uneasiness but Alastair did. He offered to walk her to their carriage after Cordelia told them that she was to go visit Lucie at the Institute.

"You feel confused about your marriage to James." Alastair told her as he helped her into the carriage. "Because of your conflicting feelings for Fairchild."

Cordelia's head snapped to look at him. How had he known? She thought that she did a very good job at hiding her true feelings for Matthew.

"That is not true." She shook her head at her brother.

"You cannot lie to me, Cordelia, I can always tell when you are." Alastair then sighed. "If you want my advice, here it is: Stay with James; Matthew will only break your heart as he is far too fickle. I have experience with those in his family." He glared at the ground.

"Matthew is nothing like Charles." Cordelia said at once and then caught herself. "I appreciate the advice, Alastair, but I do not feel for Matthew as you say."

He only stared at her for a moment and then spoke. "Just be careful, Layla."

With that, he then left and Cordelia pondered his words all of the way to the Institute. She had to marry James no matter what -- she wanted to marry James. She loved him even if he did not love her and it was not as if Matthew loved her either, so what was the problem? As she rolled up to the Institute, Cordelia felt a sense of nervousness. Lucie had sent her a letter late last night explaining everything with Jesse Blackthorn and she was now here to meet him for the very first time. Cordelia had been shocked when Lucie had told her that she herself had brought back Jesse; it was a powerful gift that she possessed.

Cordelia walked into the Institute and found her friends in the living room. James and Matthew were sat on a sofa together, speaking to one another, and she felt a rush of heat as she looked at both of them. How was it that she could be in love with two different people? Cordelia tore her eyes off of the two boys and observed Thomas and Christopher who were speaking to a boy she had never seen before. Jesse Blackthorn. He had dark hair, like James', and magnificent bright green eyes. He was very attractive and he was smiling as Lucie, from beside him, said something to Thomas and Christopher. For the first time, Cordelia realized that Thomas and Christopher were indeed Jesse's cousins.