Chapter One

Brooke

“Josh!” I bellowed through our house in a complete and total panic at the lack of preparedness. “Josh!” I screamed once more when he hadn’t magically appeared before me. I could hear his quick and rapid footfalls on the staircase as he rushed to my side.

“What, Brooke? What’s wrong?” Sheer terror took over his face as his eyes scanned me, looking for any signs of distress.

My mouth went dry as the sight of his very naked, bronzed body came into view. Water from the shower was dripping down every inch of his long lean muscles, his body almost sparkling from the light catching on the droplets gracing his skin.

“Umm,” I stammered, trying to remember why I had called for him in the first place.

A hearty laugh bellowed out of Josh as he stepped closer to me, pulling me in to his warm embrace, getting my dress damp. Lust filled his eyes, reading my mind so easily. “Why, Mrs. Worthington, you look like you have needs that your husband should be handling for you,” he crooned into my neck as he suckled on my earlobe. “And here I was worried you would lose some of your desire with everything going on.”

His statement brought my concern and panic back to the forefront of my mind. “That’s it,” I said pulling away, leaving him shocked and dismayed at my removal from his arms. “Why are you not dressed? They will be here in an hour. I need help getting ready. This is their first time seeing our new home all decorated and complete, and I’m cooking dinner, and… and...”

His lips silenced mine, as he molded his mouth to my own, his tongue dancing within as he made my mind all fuzzy again. “Josh,” I pleaded, placing my hands on his pecs, “Please.”

With a nod and a quick chaste kiss, Josh trudged back up the stairs and returned before I’d even had a chance to come out of my hormone-induced coma.

“Hey you,” he teased, slapping me on the butt. “You going to get to work or what?” Laughing, I joined him in the kitchen where the smell of the fresh apple pie was cooling, and the faint aroma of our lemon and rosemary roasted chicken was cooking.

Josh’s stomach grumbled as he breathed in the smell of dinner. “Oh my God, babe, this smells delicious.”

With a proud smile, I gave him some tasks to accomplish to help me tidy up the house and make it spic and span.

Looking around, I was pleased with how quickly our house had become a home. When we got married, Josh and Jake gave up their bachelor pads and squeezed into the condos with Savannah and me. Knowing we would want to start a family soon and needed space, I had begrudgingly given up my condo to move into something a bit more spacious that we could both live comfortably in. The house was on the outskirts of Denver but still close to both of our works, nestled into a historic part of town that was very quaint and friendly. A great school district that we could stay in for years to come and happily raise a family. I tried to blend our styles, our love for the outdoors, with the trendy and modernism of business people. Josh and I had even already made one room into an office so we could both easily work from home if we needed to, leaving two more bedrooms to fill with the sounds of soft voices and the pitter-patter of feet.

The timer on the stove loudly blaring alerted me to the cooked chicken roasting inside; pulling it out, I quickly checked the temperature to ensure it was done and then went about turning the drippings into gravy. Josh and Jake had me quickly learn that they loved their hearty meals with all the fixings, and I had been happy to satisfy their need. Next, I whipped up the mashed potatoes and then steamed the vegetables, giving myself ten minutes to set the table before Savannah and Jake arrived. Knowing Sav, they’d be a little late, and I prayed Jake wouldn’t drive like a bat out of hell to make up for lost time.