Test Results

I'm standing at the sink, staring at it. The box containing the test that could change my life. I open the box and take out the pregnancy test. I put the empty box back in my bag and go into one of the stalls and take the test. Waiting on the results I think about the night, last month. The night that could've been a huge mistake. I sigh then look at the test. Positive.

"Aria! You're going to be late! Get up!" My Mom calls while shaking me to wake me up.

"Okay. I'm up." I say. My mom mentions something about breakfast but I wasn't listening. I was too busy thinking about the nightmare I just got woken up from. I've had the same nightmare the past three nights. By the time I'm done thinking my mom had left my room. I get out of bed and look at the time on my phone. It's 8:35. I have a text from Hanna. 

"Where are you? We were supposed to meet at The Brew at 8:15." the text read. 

I quickly type a reply - "Sorry. Just woke up. Meet at school." I put my phone down and go over to the dresser and open one of the drawers and pick out a change of underwear. I change my underwear then go over to the closet. I throw on a red skater dress and black boots. I quickly brush my hair. Then my teeth and rush downstairs.

"Aria, you've not had breakfast!" My dad shouts from the kitchen before I have the chance to open the front door.

"No time. I'll get something at school!" I call back. I grab by bag and leave the house. I'm really happy that my parents are back together. With everything that happened between my mom and Zack, she deserves to be happy.

I'm walking up the stairs at school when I get a phone call from Hanna. I answer it. 

"Where are you?" Hanna says. 

"I'm right behind you." I hang up the phone when I reach Hanna, Spencer and Emily. "I am so sorry that I'm late. Thanks for waiting."

"It's fine." She answered. She starts speaking again but my mind is somewhere else. Late. I'm trying to do the math in my head. I'm late. My period was due three days ago. When the nightmares started.

"Aria!" Spencer is calling. "Aria, Hanna is asking if you want to ditch first period with us. She doesn's want to go into maths."

"Yeah sure. Where are we going?" I ask. Trying to keep my mind on the conversation.

"Shopping." Hanna answered. 

"Alright." We walk out of school and walk to the nearest bus stop.

The bus journey was quiet. No one spoke. I had time to think. The same question kept repeating, over and over in my mind. What if the nightmare wasn't a nightmare. What if it was my mind trying to tell me something. I open my bag and take out my purse to see how much money I have. Forty five dollars. That should be enough. Enough to buy a pregnancy test.

We get off at the next stop and walk into the mall. Hanna takes us to her favorite store and picks up four dresses that she had reserved.

"Are you not getting anything?" Hanna asked me. 

"No. I don't need anything." I reply.

"Can we go to the coffee shop to get something to eat? I'm starved." Spencer asks. 

"Fine. Just let me pay for these." Hanna said before she walked over to the cash register.  

When we got to the coffee shop I didn't buy anything. We sat down at the table beside the window. I looked out and saw a pharmacy across the road.

"I'll be right back." I say as I stand up. "I've got a really sore head. I'm going to go buy some aspirin."

"Do you want me to come with you?" Emily asks. 

"No thanks Em. It's only across the road I'll be fine." I would normally let her come but I don't want her to know that I might be pregnant. At eighteen. With my ex-teachers baby. 

I cross the road and open the door to the pharmacy. I walk up and down every aisle until I find the pregnancy aisle. I pick up a clear blue test and walk over to the counter. I pick up a box of aspirin, in case someone asks for one. 

"Aria?" I turn around and see Emily standing behind me. She looks at the test that I am putting in my bag.

"Please don't tell the others." I ask her, feeling ashamed. 

"I won't." she said. I smile at her and thank her. 

I look at the ground and sigh.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you guys. I just didn't want any of you to think that I'm a slut or something." I say.

Emily hugs me.

"None of us think that, Aria. We all love you, and we love Ezra too." She said. "Why don't you go home. I'll tell Hanna and Spencer that you aren't feeling well so you had to leave. Take the test, better now than never.

"Thanks, Em." I say,

She walks me to the nearest bus stop and waits with me until the bus comes. I hug her before I get on the bus. 

"Call me when you get the results?" She asks.

I nod at her then get on the bus. The bus ride home seemed like forever, When I got home my mom and dad had both left and Mike was at school. I go upstairs and go in the bathroom. I lock the door behind me and look in the mirror.  

Come on, Aria. You can do this. I take the test out of the box and stare at it. I take the test, unlock the bathroom door and go in my bedroom. I sit the test upside down on the dresser and pace back and forth my room. Once the three minutes I had to wait, according to the instructions on the box, were up I walked over to the dresser. I close my eyes and pick up the test. I open my eyes. 

Positive.