H.O.T. Secret Agent Dude 4

I wake up the next day on the pull-out couch against the wall facing the television in the living room of Jordan's apartment. I sit up to clearly see the television is playing Iron Man 3 and the radio on the kitchen counter perpendicular to the pull-out couch is blasting spanish music. I groan and swing my legs off the pull-out couch and onto the floor. It is obvious as to why I could not continue sleeping. Who could possibly sleep through all the noise? I am a morning person. Well, unless someone disturbs me from a perfect dream.

I walk through the living room to get to Jordan's room door and bang on it three times. I wait for 10 seconds and when no one answers the door I open the door to find no one inside of his room. I walk to the closet and reach for my emergency sleepover bag.

I get ready for my day and walk out of Jordan's apartment locking the door from the inside. I hurriedly run down the three flights of stairs into the parking lot. I notice my red Ducati Monster 821 motorcycle parked on the far left glistening in the sun. I take out my Samsung Galaxy S4 phone to turn on for the time noticing how high the sun is up.

Great. It is 8:52, and my Calculus 2 class starts at 9:00. I put my phone in the phone compartment of my bookbag and jog over to my bike. It looks like I will have to take the shortcut to get to school. And no stops to my dorm room. I tighten the strings on my bookbag, put on my helmet and leave the parking lot on my bike in a flash. I arrive at my school with no interruptions -for the first time might I add. I take my helmet in the trunk of the boke then speedwalk to class, weaving in between people in the process.

"Hey Mari", Joshua calls me by my nickname. He is my math partner. We always pair up because like magic, we will get 100% on all assignments we work on together. We've tried it with other partners and would get 83, 86, 92, 94 and 97%, Clearly our math dynamic is flawless, while with other people it is flawed. The only way to keep 100%, we rely on each other and partner together, except for with individual assignments.

"Glad you could make it on time", he teases.

"You're not the only one", I joke back while playfully punching him in the arm left arm as I take the seat to his left.

"Well, all I know is that you better not bail on me. You're my math soul mate", he winks at me.

"Me bailing on you is the square root of negative one", I wiggle my eyebrows at him.

"Hahaha, now you're just being cheesy. Don't let your boyfriend find out and get jealous", he states and guess who just walked into the classroom?

I steal a glance at Chris and turn my head away quickly back to Joshua. I take out my calculator to quickly type "He rejected me" using the alphabet on my TI-84, and then I slide it on Joshua's desk. Chris makes his way to the back of the class. I sigh of relief since I sit in the front row. I don't know what my plan of action is going to be now. I am not ready to make him realize his mistake of rejecting me. I was not prepared for him to blatantly shut me down so quickly. As if I was a disease. Getting my ex-best friend to like me back is harder than expected, but I guess that just makes things more interesting. At least I know one thing, I am not giving back that USB until he dates me and I know for sure he will not dump me after accomplishing his mission.  

Joshua hands back my calculator. He replied back in a whisper leaning close to me, "But we both know the truth. It will happen eventually". With this statement, I suddenly feel more confident. I grin at him and nod my head. In the back I can hear a snort. I don't turn around as I am tempted to. I take that as a sign of encouragement because call me overthinking it, but I think that is the sound of jealousy coming from Chris. The teacher walks into the room with a stack of papers and his brief case and I wipe the silly grin away from my face. I just remembered that we have a test.

I finish my test early as usual and walk out of the classroom like a boss once I turn it in. The test was fairly easy compared to the previous tests. I sit on a bench that is posted against the wall on the outside of the classroom waiting for Chris to come out. I can feel today being a great day. I'll test out my luck once Chris comes out.

The wait however seems like it is taking forever. I take out my phone and flip through my photos. I look through the pictures that Chris and I took three weeks ago, when we were best friends, and sigh think back on the memories. There is one of us at Six-Flags amusement park on the ferris wheel. I smile at the memory. I did not want to go on the ferris wheel because I thought of it as cheesy, boring and lame. However Chris wanted to see the sunset from the ferris wheel because he is into sunsets, sunrises, waterfalls, star-gazing, nature beauty, etc. Since I was the best friend, "it was the best friend obligation to go with" him. His words. When we did get up to the top, Chris took my phone from me (because I was so bored, I was on instagram on my phone), and took a selfie of us for instagram. The sunset is in the background and we are smiling at the camera in the photo.

I glance up to see Chris standing over my shoulder looking at the photo with hooded eyes. An expression on his face that could not be described.

"Hey, I was waiting for you", my voice comes out a bit softly. I am starting to think the rejection is taking a toll on my confidence a little. That is unacceptable, but sometimes you can't help how you feel. 

"Hmmmm".

"We need to talk", my voice comes out stronger.  

"We're not even in a relationship and yet you still use that phrase", Chris chuckles.

I stand up and tilt my head to the side to indicate that he should follow suite and walk with me.

"Let's hit up the caf for breakfast", I state in control of the situation.

"And now a date", Chris smirks.

"It seems to me that you are starting to regret rejecting me. No one else would think that deeply on it", I reply back with sass.

Chris shrugs his shoulders in response. I take the silence as a good sign.

"So, where have you hidden the USB?" Chris questions.

"I thought you would never ask. It is in a secret location, hidden from you", I reply.

Chris raises an eyebrow.

"Seriously? Are you planning on sabotaging my mission because I broke up our friendship? Or did your parents put you up to this? Did you look at the content? Please tell me you didn't. Anyways if you do, myself and others will be able to track your location because of the tracker inside" Chris rants.

"You know, I think you already sabotaged your mission. Let's see. You've let a civilian know that your are in fact a secret agent, and you managed to lose something so precious. Don't blame me nor my parents for your mistakes", I reply with a sneer.

Chris eyebrows draw into the bridge of his nose. He breathes in and out heavy, slightly losing control and trying hard to maintain his composure.

"I'm human. We are allowed to make mistakes as long as we can fix them. And you're not making this easy for me at all", Chris says pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Yeah, I guess us being friends was a mistake and this is your way of fixing it", I reply. I know I am being a bit petty, but I cannot help be irritated that he used me.

"Marlisa, some things should not be explained now. You will have to wait in the future for that", Chris stalks off up the stairs to the cafeteria.

I walk up the stairs and think on this. I know that over thinking is a weakness of mine, but I can't help it.

Once we've gotten our food and finally sit down, I splurt out the question that could give me hope.

"Want to know what I think? I think you broke up our friendship, giving me a ridiculous reason as to why at that, because you're in some dangerous mess. You don't want me to have feelings for you because you might die. This is your way of secretly protecting me because you are in fact in love me."

Chris gives me an incredulous look and reply, "That only happens in movies".