Aw, you're my disgrace though.

Start from the beginning

"Well it's a big day for some people, I'm sure it'll all be fine." I said in a reassuring tone.

"I know, I know." He sighed. "I'm gonna have to go, Louis has been bugging me to play games with him so I best go and do that before he has a fucking fit or something."

"Send my love to the rest of the clan." I told him.

"I will do, I love you." He sounded so happy saying it.

"I love you too, speak later." I smiled, we both hung up and I put my phone down. How did I somehow meet someone that made me feel like I was on another planet yet I'm stuck here on Christmas with a family from hell? It wasn't fair.

I got up off my bed and decided to go downstairs to see if Liam and Rachel were about but I was met with only my dad sat in the living room, drinking whisky and watching some cheesy Christmas movie. I had no choice but to sit down on the couch with him and just watch it otherwise it would be a bit awkward for me to run back up the stairs.

It was an uncomfortable silence, something I didn't want to deal with. "How's work been?" I decided to ask him.

"The usual, boring and unfulfilling." He said in a monotone voice.

"That's a shame." I replied.

"What about you? How is work going for you?" He glanced over at me, I just shrugged.

"It's work, I've been helping the guys promote their new album mostly." I said.

"Is this what you want to do with your life Alyssa? Chasing around some band for a living?" The way he said it struck a nerve in me. Who the fuck does he think he is? I'm making a good wage doing something that makes me happy.

"I'm happy with it, make good money and doing work that makes a difference." I shot back.

"How exactly does that make a difference to the world?" He made a disgusted face at me.

"Their music helps a lot of people, it touches people in a way that gives them hope in their lives." I said. "I don't expect you to understand but I've seen it with my own eyes, music is a safe place for a lot of people and if I get to help create that for some people then it's a job that barely even feels like work."

"I just think you should be putting your degree to better use, bands like that are just silly little rockstars that drink and do drugs all the time, it's not a good environment for you." He said again in his boring monotone voice.

"I'm happy dad, the happiest I've ever been with my life choices." I said firmly, getting pissed off with his bullshit.

"I just feel like it's a bit of a joke that I paid for you to go to uni and this is the life path you've chosen, that boyfriend of yours is nothing but trouble." He shrugged. I squinted my eyes at him.

"You know nothing about him." I spat back.

"I've read a lot about him online Alyssa, he's a bad influence to be around." I couldn't hold it back anymore, I was sick of it. I've only been here a few hours and if this is what it's going to consist of, I was done.

I got up off the couch and went into the kitchen, looking for some form of alcohol. I needed something to calm me down from the rage that was building within me. Why does he always have to do this? I was living my own life, an adult now and he still tries to corner me in and talk to me like a child.

I grabbed a bottle of wine and walked up the stairs, drowning out the conversation I was just subjected to.

-

The empty bottle of wine sat on my bedside table, staring at me. I consumed it all a lot quicker than I probably should have but it was needed. A knock at my door brought me out of the train of thought I was in. "Come in." I mumbled.