Legacy

Notes:

I'd really appreciate to hear what you all have to say about what I've posted for this fic. I'm a little more lenient over here with comments because of how many people read this story (which by the way, I was never anticipating) but please, after this chapter, leave me something. It's probably the longest one in the entire story. :)

"The Queen, Your Mother... She was always mindful of her duty."

-Ser Barristan Selmy

[According to the Song of Ice and Fire Wiki, Queen Rhaella had a miscarriage in 263 AC. We're gonna ignore that for this canon, but everything else following will be canon. What you need to know is that Rhaegar and Rhaella (daughter) are four years apart, which means he was born in 259 and she was born in 263.]

***

She didn't often tell people, but when Rhaella was alone, she thought of all the children her mother had miscarried. The ones who had barely lived a year or who had been stillborn. She thought about all the babies who had never been, the way her father had accused her mother of infidelity. Queen Rhaella Targaryen was way too good for Aerys Targaryen, and she wished Jaeherys had done something to protect her.

Her mother had protected herself, and in turn protected the four children she did have.

Rhaella sipped at her wine as the flames danced in the fireplace before her. The night had been quiet since Daenerys and her counsel had departed for their chambers to reconvene in the morning. She knew it was only a matter of time before her baby sister appeared in her chambers to ask all the questions she had never been given answers to.

"You look.. pensive."

She cast a look over her shoulder and smiled softly at the sight. Daenerys was standing in the open doorway, her usually immaculately braided hair in loose waves around her shoulders, adorned in a loose red shift. It was the first time she'd looked her age since coming to Dragonstone.

"I am pensive. I'm thinking about.. well, a lot of things." Rhaella replied. "If I were you, I'd grab the decanter and pour yourself a glass. We have a lot to talk about." Daenerys nodded and silently slipped across the room, grabbing the glass and decanter before she took a seat at the unusually large chair across from her sister. "Have you been through the entire Keep yet?"

"No." She said softly. "But I imagine I'll have more then enough time. While I'm thinking about it.." Dany paused as she took a sip of her wine and made a distasteful expression. "Seven Hells, what is this?"

Rhaella rose a brow. "It's wine, Daenerys."

"If you think this is wine, you've clearly never been to Essos."

Daenerys's gaze softened as realization hit her. "No." Rhaella said. "I haven't, but props for effort."

"I'm sorry, that was callous-"

Rhaella shook her head. "No, it wasn't. You didn't know. It's to be expected." She sat the wine glass down and tucked her feet beneath her. "I guess I should start at the beginning, unless there are specific things you want to know."

Daenerys pursed her lips as she pondered the first of many questions she wanted to ask. "Ser Barristan Selmy served as part of my Queensguard before he fell in the Battle for Meereen." Rhaella's eyes lit up at the mention of the former Knight, one who she and Rhaegar had spent quite a bit of time with as teenagers. "He said Rhaegar was good, kind. That the two of you went through the city and sang. You gave money to the poor."