Chapter Five

~Amelies POV~

Winter stood up, and moved across the small shack. I watched him walk away, but felt frustration coarse through me. "Winter?"

He clenched his fist, and I watched his jaw roll as he stopped by the door.

"Answer me." I pushed myself from the mattress on the floor, and stalked towards him. "Now. Am I your soulmate?"

He closed his eyes as he turned to face me. They were piercing blue when he opened them, peering into my soul. "You are in danger."

I yelled, I couldn't help it. "Tell me!"

His jaw clenched again, and as he was momentarily distracted, I lunged forward and pinched his arm. He yelped in surprise, and stepped back.

I rolled my sleeve up, and saw the mirroring red pinch mark on my skin. "Aha! I knew it! You're my soulmate!" I grinned, momentarily triumphant, until the realisation sunk in. "You're my soulmate..."

His shoulders slumped in defeat, and I frowned at the expression on his face. "Tell me everything-"

"I am not-"

"Winter, you are telling me everything right now, or I am leaving. People are trying to kill me, and I assume it's because of you - Tell me or I go." I felt the ache in my chest as I decided I would leave, but I knew I needed the truth.

"You aren't leaving without me." His voice was gravelly, thick and coarse.

"Yes I am." I held my hands on my hips, and kept my glare levelled as he stared at me.

After a moment of silence, I sighed, and walked around him. If he wouldn't tell me now then I will walk away and he can find me when he's ready.

I didn't reach the door though. His rough hands held onto my arm, his grip surprisingly gentle as he softly tugged me back to stand in front of him.

I watched as he sunk to sit on the edge of the mattress, his hands wringing each other, before yanking at the hair on his head.

"I..." He croaked, his eyes staring at a fixed point on the floor. "I don't know where to start."

I folded my arms, holding the blanket around my body as I watched his body fold into itself. "Start from the beginning."

He chewed his lip, before looking up at me. "What do you know about HYDRA?"

I shrugged, and thought back to what Peter had told me over the years. "They were something to do with the government in the war. They created weapons, and hurt people."

"Right..." he sighed. "They took me, during that war, and injected me with a... a serum." He squeezed his eyes shut, and pinched the top of his nose, so hard his nails dug into the skin. "I became the Winter Soldier."

I gulped, and nodded. "I know."

"I fight who they want me to fight, I kill who they want me to kill - no." His voice hardened as he shook his head. "No, I used to do that. Not any more." His voice dropped down to a whisper, "no more."

"I..." his hand shook as he lifted it, trying to wipe at his face, "I remember being frozen... in a chest. I remember that... I don't know how many times they did that."

I felt nausea swirling around my stomach, and I sucked in a deep breath as Winter squeezed his eyes shut.

"Then I heard your name," he held his hand over his mouth, his eyes blazing as he lifted his head to stare at me. "Your name, and I knew. I remembered. I remembered being frozen, I knew what happened to me. It broke me."