Unexpected Love - Chapter 1 (JenLisa FF Story)

***JENNIE***

"Time to go, Jennie. What are you doing?" I heard mom shouting at the bottom of the stairs.

"Coming mom! Be there in a minute." I answered her while I snatch my backpack on the floor.

Before I exit the door, I took a last glimpse at my new lip gloss. Checking if it's still on point or not. I smiled at my reflection in the mirror, "Pretty as always." I giggled in my complement.

Mom's waiting for me at the door. "What took you so long? I don't want to squeeze myself in the traffic. It's Friday, remember?"

"Sorry, mom. I'm just testing my new gloss. You like it?" Then I put on my sweetest smile.

She shook her head and rolled her eyes before she locked the door. But I can see a smile hanging in her face.

She always says she sees herself on me, and I take that as a compliment.

Well, I look up to her so much. She's the bravest woman I've ever known, yet with the kindest heart. That's why disappointing her is the last thing I'll do.

"How long are we going to stay there?" I said while I fasten my seat belt.

"We're staying for one month, honey," she answered as she pulled the car from the curb.

"A month? Why?" I stared at her. Bewildered.

"I thought you've already understood why we need to stay in your grandma's house for a month." Her gaze stays on the road.

"Mom, you said we'll just visit grandma. You didn't say we'll stay there for that long."

I'm not mad. I tried to say those words as calmly as I could. Maybe I'm just not prepared to be away from home that long.

"Well, sorry about that honey. Maybe I forgot to mention it to you."

What else can I do, but to go for it, right?

It took us four long hours before we reached my grandma's porch. I'm starving, and I need a cup of coffee to relax my senses from my mom's surprise. But mom won't allow me for sure. We need to greet my grandma first before I could borrow the car.

"My baby Jennie. I miss you so much."

Grandma walked towards me and hugged me as if she wants to break my bones in tiny bits.

Honestly, I missed her so much. She's as sweet as my mom.

Her hug made me forget the confusion I had earlier.

"I miss you, too, grandma."

"Let's go! I cooked something for you two."

Her arms still wrapping my shoulders, and I have no reason to remove my arms on her waist. I love grandma so much, and I know she loves me, too. More than she loves mom. Just kidding!

---

***LISA***

"You're early! Are you sick?" I heard Tom talking behind me. He's my best friend, but sometimes I hate him for talking too much.

I went straight to my locker to change. I had a memo yesterday about my lates, that's why I'm early today. Also, there's no reason for me to stay at home. Everyone's out, and I'll be all alone, so better come here at this hour than spend every minute in my room staring at the ceiling, right?

"Hi, you're early." I heard someone say those words again. But that voice didn't make me roll my eyes anymore.

It's Rosie.

I pushed my locker door to better see her and to greet her with a smile.

"Yeah, and it seems everybody's confused about it."

I said flatly.

"Oh, no. Sorry. I didn't mean to offend you."

She looked at me apologetically.

I finally closed my locker door to face her.

"No, no. I'm not saying you're mean, or something."

I shouldn't have said that.

"Seriously, I'm not. It's for Tom's comment. There's no reason for me not to be mean to him."

She giggled and rested her hands on my arms.

Oh my gosh, Rosie, don't do this. I want to scream, but I need to calm myself as if her touch doesn't warm me.

---

***JENNIE***

"Mom, can I go? I think I need coffee." I said to mom while I'm wiping the last piece of plate on the sink.

"It's already 8 honey. You're not familiar yet with this place."

"I'll be quick. I'll just grab a cup of coffee and come back as soon as I could. Promise."

"Fine. I don't think I'll ever win on you."

I stuck the last plate on my grandma's dish cabinet. Then walked towards my mom to kiss her on her cheek.

"I love you, mom."

I have all the reason to tell mom I love her. For raising me alone, and for understanding me with whatever dream I have.

"You take care honey, okay?"

I nodded with a smile and picked up the keys on the counter table.

---

***LISA***

I went straight to the cashier to start my shift. Thank God, only three people are lining up.
"Are you sick?"

"My gosh, Tom, gather yourself, and get that kid out of you."

He laughed, and it's piercing in my ears.

"Shut it, Tom."

I whispered, and he let his laugh go.

"Good Evening, may I have your order, please?"

I asked the guy leaning on the counter with a wide smile.

I'm sure I heard him say something, but this young lady who just pushed the door caught my attention.

Someone nudged me on my side. Then I went back to my senses.

"I got it, sir." It was Rosie who saved me from doomsday... again.

I stared at her and muttered, "Thank you!".

"No problem."

She whispered, and then wrote the guy's name on the cup in her hand.

The guy in front of me moved to Rosie's counter shaking his head in dismay, and so the other two who lined up after him. They might have noticed that my mind is floating somewhere else.

My thoughts went back to this girl who pushed the door.

Is she an angel who just came down to earth for a coffee? Or am I just in my dream with this beautiful lady? Which one is which?

She's walking towards me. Gosh!

I put my right hand on my chest. Please calm down! Come on, please calm down! I'm begging!

My heart's beating so fast. If it won't slow down, I'll be picking it up on the floor.

"One Iced Caramel Macchiato, please."

Rosie slightly pulled the side of my apron, and that helped me go back to reality.

"Ah, sure. Size?"

My mouth went dry. I'm losing my breath to this angel.

"Oh, hmm, Grande." She let go of a smile without showing her teeth. Her eyes. Her eyes are so small, yet it could melt me big-time.

"May I have your name?"

"Jennie."

"Lisa."

What the... why am I saying my name to her? What would she think about that? Gosh! Snap it, Lisa. Get a grip!

"Sorry?"

Her eyes widened in confusion.

Now what?

"I mean, if you need other things, you can go straight to me. I'm Lisa."

"Okay. Well, it's my first time someone offered me that kind of help... in a coffee shop."

"Well, we want our customers to feel we're the best branch in the country."

Whew! It turned out smooth Lisa. Keep it going.

She chuckled and looked me in the eyes. "That's nice. I think I have a favorite coffee shop now."

PLEAS VISIT MY SITE FOR MORE FF STORIES.

See bio for the link https://imbookishgirl.blogspot.com

---