He wanted to believe she felt the same way, irrespective of what this experience – and previous ones – had taught him...

As his heart grew increasingly restless, Prithvi intuitively reached for the wad of papers lying next to him. He unfolded them with immense care and ran the tips of his fingers across the beautiful words that still vibrating with her love.

Despite the uncertainties and confusions, he still wasn't upset with her. If anything, the craving to feel the gentleness and purity of her love, and the peacefulness that he experienced only in her presence, had increased to the point where it seemed to be driving him insane. Memories of their time together haunted him throughout the day. For the negligible time that he did manage to sleep each night, she was all he dreamed about.

He needed to see her...to talk to her and get to the root of the whole issue.

He just had to get through a few more hours. His mother, who had seemed unusually subdued since yesterday, planned to leave for Devgarh very early in the morning, taking the scumbag along with her. Then he could set off for Shamli.

He hadn't decided what he was going to tell Nandini or how he was going to change her mind. He did know it was not going to happen over one visit. He would have to try repeatedly, and he was prepared for the long haul.

Before that, he just needed one confirmation from her. A small single confirmation...but one that could put together the fractured bits of his life...

*****************************

Nandini rang the bell and waited. After about two minutes, her mother peered out the window and looked at her with surprise.

Opening the door quickly, Sarojini said, "You're back early. I thought you said you would return after having tea with your friends."

Nandini entered the living room and sitting down heavily on the sofa. "Nishi had to leave," she answered while sliding the bag's handle from her shoulder. "So, I thought of coming back too."

"How was lunch?" her mother smiled.

"It was very good. Vrinda's mother had prepared many amazing dishes," Nandini replied warmly. "She gave me some recipes. We could try them out on the weekend," she added enthusiastically.

"Alright, we will do that," Sarojini chortled. "Do you want tea?"

"Not now. You should go back to your room and sleep, Maa. I think I'll watch some TV for some time."

As her mother walked up the stairs, Nandini switched on the television disinterestedly for her mother's benefit. She waited for a few more seconds, and then strolled to the large window and gazed out.

It had rained for a short while before, and after that, the temperatures had shot up. The heat combined with the sluggishness that followed lunch seemed to have sapped the energy of everyone in the area. Hardly a soul was outside.

Why was she giving importance to the insistent inner voice that claimed Prithvi was on his way to Shamli, Nandini thought exasperatedly. She'd had some odd abilities when it came to him...but they were not of the kind that could predict his arrival from a place that was so far away...

Ignoring her logical reasoning, her heart continued to pace frantically.

She had gone to meet her friends because she'd wanted respite from the venomous thoughts churning in her head since day before yesterday when she's heard Priyamvada's nauseating voice on the phone. She had just begun limping back to a semblance of a normal life when Priyamvada's call had come. And the vile woman's talk had sent her hurtling back to the starting point. She had tried many things to divert her mind and get rid of the anger that was burning within her. Nothing had helped...