A Kingslayer, His Keeper, and The Lady of Tarth

Start from the beginning

"Why do you both hate me so much? Have I ever physically harmed you?"

Rhaella could feel the way her blood boiled at his words even from where she laid hidden inside the boat from the patrolling guards. Her fingernails ached as they dug deeper into the frame until the slightest drop of blood trailed down the inside of her pointer finger and collided with the floorboards. It utterly boggled her mind. Was Jaime really that oblivious to the hell she'd been trapped inside since the day he'd forced her to be this?

"You've harmed others. Those you swore to protect. The weak and the innocent-"

She knew that hit Jaime harder then he'd let on even from inside the boat. "Has anyone ever told you that you're as boring as you are ugly?"

"You will not provoke me to anger!"

"Oh, but I already have! Do you think you could though? Do you think you could beat me in a fair fight? Here's what you don't know about Lady Ella laying down in that boat." Rhaella froze, afraid he'd be stupid enough to reveal her real identity. "That sword she's got? Rubbish piece of metal. That dagger is what she's good at, and I'm the one who taught her how to use it. Haven't met anyone better with daggers and knives then Lady Ella of Bear Island."

Rhaella lifted her head from the boat and glowered at Jaime. "Flattery gets you nowhere. I've seen you fight, and I think she could and will easily beat you." Jaime rose a curved eyebrow that was mostly hidden by the fringe that hung on his forehead, and it took everything in her to not swoon at the sight. It was eerily reminiscent of the same boy she'd left on the cliffside before that dagger had been gifted to her.

"Please." He scoffed. "There are three men in the kingdoms who might even have a chance against me, and she's not one of them."

Is that all you are? Just your sword hand?

Brienne was not easily deterred and seemed completely unfazed by Jaimes antics. "All my life men like you have sneered at me, and all my life I have been knocking men like you into the dust."

"If you are so confident, unlock my chains and see what happens."

Rhaella urged them both forward with one hand while Brienne held the side of the boat closest to her against the shore so they could step in. "Do you take me for an idiot? In." She demanded. Jaime complied willingly and sat himself in the boat across from Rhaella, who had taken the smallest space so Brienne could fit herself between them. His eyes drifted down to her hand that laid rested against her thigh. Her fingers twitched against the sheath as they often did when she was nervous or agitated. The sight made him smile. It was a habit she'd picked up after he'd given it to her, but she mostly kept it hidden beneath the gowns she wore in the Capital for extreme use only.

"I took you for a knight, a man. I'd even say a woman of honor. Was I wrong?'' He paused. "You're afraid." Brienne took the oar from beneath her feet and used it to push the bot away from the shore.

"Maybe one day we'll find out."

***

Brienne asked her first question long after Jaime had fallen asleep. They'd made camp further down river, about four hours travel from where they'd been, and settled into the rolled out mats that Catelyn had gifted her. "So tell me, Lady Ella," She murmured against the rather large rabbit leg poised in her fingers. "How is it that a high born Mormont looks absolutely nothing like those related to her?"

Rhaella froze instantly. She'd managed to perfect her performance well up until this point, and it was surely fate that Brienne asked the questions she had to fabricate answers for.