CHAPTER V

WC: 13,162k || Warning(s): mature content; forbidden love type of smut, little drops of angst here and there

Anna endured through the remaining hours of rehearsal by the prospect of seeing Harry at the end of the day. He'd managed to weasel his way into her mind no matter what she did. When performing scenes with her co-lead Patrick, who by no means had any resemblance to her Harry (Patrick had slicked back, raven hair, and brown eyes), she would picture him instead. Her crush on Harry had spread, infecting not only her heart but her mind too. She'd sometimes see the cameraman as Harry and saw him among the lighting crew too. Every extra was suddenly Harry. She swears she even saw his reflection in her gin and tonic.

When she returns to the hotel it's nearly nine in the evening.

"Oh, welcome back miss Rose," Dolores greets her from her spot behind the front desk.

"Good evening Dolores, any letters for me?" Anna asks as she stands by the elevator. She presses the button to go up and comes to a standstill.

"None today," Dolores replies.

The elevator chimes as it arrives. Anna waits for one of them to open, wondering which one Harry would be in. At last, she hears one of the doors open. She makes her way to the farthest elevator, anticipating Harry's appearance within, but her smile falters quickly when she sees Norman inside– and Harry with him.

"Oh, you're back already," Norman speaks up first, grinning when he sees Anna. She appears somewhat frazzled, which amuses Norman as he takes her hand, pulling her into the elevator. "I was just talking to Henry about you," Norman says, gesturing to Harry who bites on his tongue to keep himself from correcting Norman, not wanting to know what Norman would do if he were to dent his confidence.

"You usually work late when you're working from the hotel offices," Anna says, trying to sound casual in her response as she mulls over the fact she, Norman, and Harry were currently in one elevator together.

"Well, I put aside some time so I could have dinner with you when you returned. It'll have to be here in the lounge café since I still have a lot of work to do," Norman says. "I was waiting for you upstairs, but thought I'd just wait for you in the lobby, and here we are now."

"Right, then, do you mind waiting here while I go and freshen up?" Anna asks him.

"Sure, but hurry back," Norman says as he takes her by her waist and leans down to peck her cheek before leaving. Anna sighs in relief when he turns the corner, and quickly presses the button to close the elevator doors again. She presses her floor number before Harry can even try to reach for it.

"What did he say to you?" Anna asks him quietly.

"He asked about my shifts here operating the elevator. Apparently, his fiancé likes to go out on walks looking all pretty and irresistible, and he's under the impression that she doesn't go on these walks alone. I told him that I've only exchanged pleasantries with her, so I wouldn't know anything about these walks she goes on," Harry says.