I'm not avoiding you.

Start from the beginning

-

"Alyssa?" George looked confused to see me standing at his doorstep. "Are you okay?"

"Everything's a bit of a mess really." I mumbled, looking at him sadly.

"Come in." He opened his door wider to let me in. I followed him down the hallway towards the living room.

"I just feel a bit trapped, I don't know what to do George." I sighed, my head fell into my hands.

"It's okay, it's a difficult thing to go through." He sat next to me and rubbed my back.

"Am I making a mistake?" I looked up at him.

"I can't really answer that for you but if you think there's a reason to doubt that you should be with Matty then you have to go with your gut." He told me. "He's my best mate and I honestly wanted you two to work out more than anything but from what you've both told me, this isn't the end of the world for either of you."

"I just care about him so much, it makes me think I've made a mistake breaking up with him." He smiled sympathetically. "I just can't shake the feeling that my own mental health is standing in the way of me being happy and I can tell he's fighting his own battles to help me, which isn't healthy."

"I know what you mean, I think the only thing you can do is wait and see." He said. "Time heals a lot more than you realise. Give it some time and see how things go, it might help you both since you did jump into all this so quickly."

"It's just hard because I live with him." I slumped my shoulders, feeling so defeated.

"You can stay here if you want, I've got a spare room." He said as if it was absolutely no problem in the world.

"Are you serious?" I asked in shock.

"Yeah, I don't want you to feel like you have no options and have to face him every single day. Maybe some actual space will give you both some clarity." George shrugged. "It's an option that is always open to you."

"I appreciate that George, I do." I smiled at him.

"It's no problem, anything for a mate." He returned the smile.

After we spoke for awhile I felt more at ease, George was genuinely becoming one of the best friends I'd had in life. He didn't seem to hold an ounce of judgement for me and always seemed to make me laugh.

"I'm so fucking full." He mumbled, throwing a half eaten slice of pizza down on the box.

"You did try to eat a whole large pizza on your own." I pointed out. He rolled his eyes and sighed.

"I'm just getting too old for it, I'm defeated." He huffed.

"You're not that old, you're the same age as me George." I laughed.

"Shhh." He hushed me. "That just means you're old too." He chuckled. "When is your birthday?"

"2nd of December." I shrugged, his eyes widened.

"That's this weekend." He stated. "Why didn't you tell anyone?"

"I just didn't really see it as being a big deal right now." I said.

"Well you know this means I'm throwing you a party." He grinned.

"And that's why I didn't tell any of you." I rolled my eyes.

"Come on, it's an excuse to get smashed." He chuckled.

"You guys don't even need an excuse to have a fucking party." I shook my head.