Everyone cheered and raised the glasses for a toast. I sat there with my mouth open with fright. I felt my mouth dry; feeling tipsy now, just sat there frozen and motionless. Harry stared at my face.

I was swallowing hard, thinking what if he takes my name, oh my god, what will I do? He was like dropping a bomb on me after a week's silence.

Jonathan continued to say, "I have shared my sentiments with the girl I love and she thinks I am joking, I have been waiting for a week for her to answer but I can't hold it anymore."

He continued to say, this announcement is to inform her that I am serious about her and I love her very much. In whole of his conversation, he only looked at me when saying the last bit of his speech. His look ran an excitement of warmth from top to bottom.

Everyone was cheering at him, they were asking him, who is the lucky girl.

I just wanted to disappear in the crack on the floor and in the perfect house, I can't see any. He announced that the love of his life is in the same room, he walked around the table and stood beside me, he slowly kneeled down, everyone became quiet at the dining table, he took my hand and said, "I love you Nancy, will you be my wife."

I sat their frozen, gasping for air, my throat was dry, I was looking at Jonathan, as if, a ghost was in front of me. I was taken aback with his boldness and courage of just sharing his feelings.

What would his parents be thinking, this village girl, how dare he. What would Uncle Sam and Aunt be thinking? I was so ashamed to look at anyone. I just gasped out saying "no".

The room was pin drop silence, Jonathan was tensed and his jawline was firm with anger, before he could say anything, I ran from there, I went to my room and locked myself.

How could he embarrass me in front of his family and Uncle and Aunt? He is so desperate that he used this technique to get my answer out of obligation. I was angry at the same time emotional and wept myself to sleep.

In the early hours of the morning, I heard some noises, glasses breaking and then Jonathan's mother call out his name. Her voice was hysterical, I looked out of my balcony, Snr Harrison and Uncle Sam was running towards the vehicle.

The vehicle rushed out of the premises. I was scared, I didn't know what was happening, shivering at the sight of people rushing here and there.

There was a soft knock at the bedroom door, I opened the door, Aunt and Aunt Mary with Charlotte, Harry and Julie were standing outside the door. Their faces had worried look.

They saw me shivering, held be and sat me on the bed. They were polite hence looked worried. Slowly Aunt Mary, told me that Jonathan had drunk so much alcohol, he could not control himself, in his anger he smashed the glass shelves with his hand and is badly injured.

He has sustained deep cuts and there lots of blood has been lost. I sat there still, I had difficulty in breathing and slowly lost my vision, could not feel anything.

I regained my consciousness, found Charlotte and Julie with me, they touched my hand and asked me softly, if I feel better.

Curiously looking at both, I asked, "how is Jonathan, is he okay." They said they don't know yet. I asked them if I can go to the hospital to see him.

They looked terrified and said no, not now. The situation is bad. I stayed in bed helpless, thinking about Jonathan.

I do love him but I don't trust him, I don't know what to do. I have seen him with Lorraine so many times, kissing and cuddling each other, he has done this in front of me.