The Cat

So, I am the 35 year old woman who had a nervous breakdown and decided she needed a cat. My intent was to visit the Humane Society and rescue the oldest cat there to save it from being put down. Turns out, the shelter doesn't euthanize cats.

I walked bravely into the animal shelter, trying not to cry. My life was a mess. Being newly separated, I was lonely, exhausted from working crap hours with nothing to show for it, and desperately missing my girls. The gentleman at the desk was more than happy to help. I was invited into the "cat room" to meet my new friend....whomever it turned out to be. I walked through the door and sat down on the floor. Many cats came up to me to see what was going on. One cat in particular stayed with me. Just a regular Tabby cat. He was a big boy. You could instantly tell he had not missed a meal. I could not read the name on his collar, but by his size I just knew he was old. Only having enough money to adopt an older cat, he was the one. I walked out of the "cat room" announcing my choice. "Ma'am, the cats name is Romeo and he's only a year and a half.", the gentleman explained. " No way." I said. "That cat is huge!" The man double checked everything and assured me that, yes, this is a kitten. Very distraught, I went back to the room. I asked aloud, "who wants to come home with me?" Yes, I talked to a room full of cats. Immediately Romeo ran up to me and began to purr. I left the room again and explained to the man at the desk that the cat chose me. He said, " Let me see what I can do." He came back and told me I could adopt Romeo with the money I had. What an exciting moment! (No, I don't get out much.) After filling out all the necessary paperwork, he loaded Romeo into a cardboard carrier, gave me some cat food and sent us on our way. This poor cat had been an inside cat his whole life. The first time he saw a lizard he was very confused. Now, a year later, he catches them and brings them to the back door. He sleeps on my bed at night and follows me outside first thing in the morning for coffee and a smoke. Life is still far from perfect, but the cat I went to save, saved me. He still does.