chapter 6 "prettier than the sunset, darling"

RIHAN POV :

"So, we're..." I blurted out, hoping she didn't catch the underlying meaning. She played innocent, and I breathed a sigh of relief. But I wanted to tell her, confide in her, that we also look cute together. Yet, my fears held me back. We had the whole day together, and I was determined to make it enjoyable and memorable, not just because we had the day off, but because we were together. Her presence made me happy for no reason, and I couldn't help but act younger than my age around her. Luckily, she is so understanding and made me feel incredibly lucky.

As we sat across from each other at the cafe, discussing our plans for the day, I found myself flirting with her again, trying to make it seem natural. But my mind kept wandering back to the way her cheeks lifted when she smiled, the way her hair softly blew in the breeze, how her lips curve into a sarcastic smile, a subtle warning sign
and the way her laughter soothed my heart.

"Wait, I'll go to the washroom," she says, standing up and walking away. My eyes follow her until she disappears around the corner. Just as I'm still gazing in that direction, my phone beeps. I glance at the screen to see Sidharth's call flashing. I answer promptly, "Ha, bhai, bol?"

"Where are you?" he asks.

"Coffee Cafe. Aaha ko coffee Pini thi Nakshi market ke left mai hi hai" I reply, glancing at her empty chair.

"Aaha tere samne hai?" he inquires, curiosity evident in his tone.

"Nahi, washroom gyi hai" I respond.

"Tu usse sab kuch explain kyu ni krta" he questions. "Maybe she has experienced these feelings before."

His words strike a chord, and my heart sinks for no apparent reason. I can't quite put my finger on this feeling, but it's definitely unreasonable!

"She probably doesn't even know what falling in love feels like," I said, thinking I knew her well enough. After all, she never had a boyfriend in London, and she would often tell me about her male friends, but never a romantic partner.

"Not having a boyfriend doesn't mean she didn't have feelings for someone," Sidharth pointed out, his words making me raise an eyebrow. I quickly glanced at my phone, wondering if he had somehow mastered voice reading too!

"Huh?" I uttered, my mouth slipping before I could catch myself.

"Yes, if she didn't have a boyfriend, it doesn't mean she didn't have feelings for someone," he repeated, assuming I hadn't heard him clearly.

"If she had, she would've told us," I responded confidently.

"Yahi toh baat hai, that's the thing with girls - they don't share such things with anyone,ho sakta hai she had eyes on someone and he had on another and now she's trying to move on" Sidharth said, his words hovering over my fading expression. My eyes lowered, casting an expressionless glare into the air. "Are you saying this to tease me?" I questioned, a hint of defensiveness creeping into my tone.

"Bhai soch kr toh dekh , it's possible, right? Maybe she had eyes for someone else, and he had another girl, and she's trying to move on," he replied, his voice laced with a gentle reasoning. "Or maybe,jaisa tune kaha, just maybe, she doesn't know what it feels like to be in love."

"Tu topic nikal kr toh dekh, maine aise hi tum dono ko akele nahi chor hai" he mumbled, a hint of playful accusation in his tone.