Sharing a Sundae (Nodrian, Major Spoilers)

Start from the beginning

"Opened by my great-great grandmother," A voice said. She was a middle-aged woman. She wore an apron with a long-sleeved shirt and jeans on. "It's been in the family for four generations." (I think I got the math right, but it was never my strong suit.) Her name tag read Ambrosia.

Adrian and Nova took a look at the menu, and then the ice cream in the display case in front of them.

"All ice cream is hand-made here, in the back room. My son was mostly in charge of that," Ambrosia said. "But I had to hire another girl because he's a renegade now."

She looked at them.

"Oh! You're Nova and Adrian! You probably know my son. His name is Jesse. His alias is Soundwave. He's in back training the new girl at this very moment."

"Oh, yeah, I like him. He gave me a kale smoothie once." Nova said.

Running a shop must be hard, especially in an old building like this.

"How did this survive the battle?" Nova asked.

"I know, it's a miracle. That happened when my mother was still in charge and I was still an underling. We had to do a lot of reconstruction, but managed to save the building's integrity," Ambrosia said.

"Are you the owner/manager now?"

"Yep, my mother is happily retired now. She took an early retirement." The shop owner explained.

"It's a really nice place," Nova stated, looking around at the polaroid pictures of happy customers and pictures of the family as they grew throughout the four generations. The last picture was one of Ambrosia, her son and her daughter, Jesse's older sister.

"Thank you, Nova. Oh! How rude of me! Would you like to sample any of the ice cream? Many of the flavors are unique to my family and this shop."

"What's in this Ambrosia?" Adrian asked, the name was what caught his eye. "Isn't ambrosia food of the gods or something?"

"Yes, but it's also an old American desert. My mother invented that recipe shortly after I was born. She loved food-themed names so she named me Ambrosia, which gave her an idea to convert the traditional dessert into an ice cream flavor. I tried to change the name, because having people asking for your namesake is kind of weird, but people kept asking for "ambrosia", so I changed it back. It has pineapple and mandarin orange chunks, with marshmallow fluff and pecans mixed in. There's a hint of coconut flavor, too. It's a little thicker than the other ice creams. Usually, I make it into a sundae and add whipped cream to make it more similar to the traditional dessert. It doesn't taste the same as ambrosia, because ambrosia is a fruit salad and this is ice cream, but it's close."

"Can we sample it?" Adrian asked.

The woman nodded and got out two sample cups and put a small spoonfuls in each cup.

Adrian and Nova each took a bite.

Nova's eyes widened and Adrian gasped.

"That is really good," Nova said.

"Yeah," Adrian agreed.

He looked at the prices.

The price seemed a little high, even for unique ice cream flavors, but probably because she had more competition and less customers, since it was locally owned and a kind of hole-in-the-wall place.

Nova mentally counted the money she knew she had in her wallet. Adrian did the same.

"Mom!" A voice said.

Ambrosia looked to the source.

"Annie made a mistake and there's an open bag of pecans on the floor," Jesse said.