three ㅣ bandages

Stumbling your way to your seat, your eyes roamed around the room. The teacher hasn't arrived yet. You weren't late.

Victory.

You sighed in relief and sunk in the seat. You looked at Toby, only to see him already looking at you with an amused face.

"Used your phone 'til 1 in the morning?"

"2 am, actually," you grinned with pride.

"I wouldn't be surprised if I see you looking like a walking corpse one day."

"Already look like one, bud," you said, the teacher walking in. "First subject...yay," you heard Toby snort at your fake enthusiasm.

Classes started with students wanting to go home, except for a few who loved school. Everytime the bell rang, students cheered inside their head, and when the bell rang for lunch time, all of you dashed outside.

"The only thing I can agree with these students. Waiting for the bell to ring," you said. Toby gave you a weak smile.

"Can't say the same that I like that sound..."

"Why not? It's like it's screaming...freedom!" He shrugged.

Lunch time passed by with no conflict, but it was when you were back in the classroom when you noticed the change. He had bandages on his hands.

"Toby?" He hummed. "Why do you have bandages on your hands?" He looked at you in surprise. His expression morphed into hesitancy and uncomfortableness. He opened his mouth to reply when the teacher entered the room.

Saved. At least for a few classes, Toby thought, glancing at you. He didn't want to lie to you but he knew that if he told you the truth, you'd leave him. He's sure of it.

The last few classes passed by and when the bell rang for the last time this day, students hastily packed their bags and bolted out the door. You, Toby, and and a few other students were left inside the room.

"So..." You started. "Bandages?"

"I just hurt myself, that's all," he smiled sheepishly.

I didn't exactly lie...Toby assured himself.

"Oh. Well, you better not be lying because I trust you. And you promised no more secrets," you said in a joking manner, knowing he'd keep his promises.

Toby freezed. That hit me like a brick.

"Toby? Sorry, you must think I'm doubting you."

"No, it's not-" he stopped. He's hearing...

Ringing.

He looked around but no one else looked bothered. He spoke in a hesitant tone, "Do you hear that?"

"Hear what?"

"Ringing!" He sounded desperate. He looked out the window and his stomach churned, seeing the familiar tall man with no face. He blinked, and just like that, the man disappeared, along with the ringing.