Chapter 9

Chapter 9

"Rahe Tere Dil Mein Sada, Teri Dhadhkan Takk Na Ja Sake"

It all happened very quickly then. The sudden lifelessness in Humaira's stance, Zoya's hand frozen mid-air and simultaneous horrified gasps from each direction. Razia was the first one to snatch the sweets and roughly push her out of the way.

Call the doctor. Do something. Ayaan seemed to be yelling but he couldn't bring his body or mouth back from the frozen exile it had been sent to. The only thing he saw were Humaira's limp hands laying by his side, her face turning pale by the minute. Everyone around him appeared to be screaming, several guests now running in different directions trying to be some help, but he strangely couldn't seem to hear a thing.

"YOU, YOU DID THIS!" Razia's sudden wail of anger snapped the curtain off his incomprehensible deafness.

It was too loud and ugly. For a second his heart feared for Zoya. He suddenly saw Humaira's body lifted up in the air encircled in his father's arms.

Not caring who stood in his way Rashid pushed through the crowd and carried Humaira to his car through the chaos. Her body had broken into sudden seizures. Ayaan saw the distance between him, and her quivering body increase as he sat immobile at the same spot.

Zoya on other hand wore an identical bewildered mask much like all the guests. But before she could even make sense of what had just conspired, Razia snatched the veil away from her face in a quick irate movement.

"What did you do to her? What did you do to my daughter?"

"I... I don't... I just..."

"Ho kaun tum? Maine ton pehla tumhe kabhi nahi dekha. Who even invited you?"

"She's my friend" A timid voice came from where Ayaan sat. With the horrifying sight of Humaira's trembling body gone, it felt like he could speak again.

" Aisi kaunsi friend hai, jiska humein nahi pata. Jise chupp kar aana pada"

"Aap? aren't you the guest at the Khan house?" a surprised Nikhat blurted out. She had heard all about the pyaasi aatma mission from Ayaan and they had all proceeded to facebook stalk the brave girl who dared to step into Asad Ahmed Khan's way.

"Khan house?" As soon as the words were out from Nikhat's mouth, Razia's wrath knew no bounds. She had been poisoning Shireen's mind lately against Rashid's ex-wife, but it looked like she had sent someone to poison her household instead.

Blind rage boiled through her body almost making her look mad. And before any eye could see, the contact of skin against skin echoed off the walls bringing the room to a pin drop silence.

Zoya stood holding her hand to her now fire red cheek. She didn't know what was worse at this point. Getting slapped in the face, poisoning her friend's bride or the fact the whole Khan Villa would be watching this.

"She planted you, didn't she? She sent you here so she can destroy our life all over again." Razia continued yelling in a frenzy, her voice booming throughout the quiet house.

"When she realized she couldn't get her filthy hands on Rashid anymore, she sent you here to destroy MY DAUGHTER'S life. Meri bachi ki yeh haalat kardi. Aaj ke din, uski sagai ke din. Ek maa ki haaye lagegi tum sabko. Ek maa ki haaye lagegi Dilshad ko. Khuda kare uska ghar bhi ujad jaaye."

"ENOUGH"

Asad shut the laptop with a force cracking the fragile screen. An eerie silence descended upon the villa. No body dared speak, only the click-clack of Asad's oxfords' making sound against the marble floor.