The Next Best Thing

Start from the beginning

"Woah, careful," he chuckled. She regained her balance, stepping back from him.

"Thanks," She laughed softly, bending down to pick up her books, "I'm sorry, I should've been watching where I was going." She turned to face him, immediately blushing. Alex blushed as well, finally able to get a good look at her face.

"It's alright, love." Really, Alex? Is that the best you could do? He looked back down at her.

"Uh, do you happen to know where Room 315 is?" She asked, still seeming slightly nervous.

"Yeah, I'm headed there right now, so just follow me. Mrs. Nelson's Spanish class?" He started walking towards the classroom.

"Yep."

"I don't think I've seen you around, so I'm assuming you're new."

"Yeah, I just transferred from NDP. I'm a junior."

"Hey, I'm a junior too! Maybe we'll have some more classes together. I'm Alex by the way. Alex Gaskarth."

"Hazel Valenov."

"Pleasure meeting you, Hazel." They approached Room 315.

"Here we are. Be careful, If you aren't a wizard at Spanish, Mrs. Nelson probably won't be your biggest fan," He warned.

"I think I'll be alright," She smirked, quirking an eyebrow. Damn, was she interesting. They walked up and got in line by Mrs. Nelson.

"Hi honey, I'm Mrs. Nelson. Last name??"

"Valenov."

"You're gonna sit right there, sweetie." She pointed to a seat near the back of the room.

"Alright, thank you." She walked off to her desk.

"Hello again, Mr. Gaskarth... Your seat is the open one right next to Hazel. I've got my eye on you."

"Alrighty." He walked up to his desk and sat down.

"Welp, Hazel, looks like we're neighbors."

"Cool," She smiled at him.

"So, do you happen to play any instruments?"

"Yeah, I've played piano since I was 5, guitar since I was 8, and I'm trying to learn bass right now," She counted on her fingers. She laughed a bit as he threw his feet up on the desk, crossing his legs.

"Don't laugh at me, I have a reputation to keep up with in this class." She rolled her eyes, chuckling again. The bell rang and everyone took their seats.

"Mr. Gaskarth, get your feet off the desk, this is a classroom, not a barn," Mrs. Mitchell scolded.

"Sorry, Miss." He took his feet off the desk, and when Mrs. Nelson turned away from him again, he put them back up. He saw Hazel laughing in the corner of his eye. Mrs. Nelson was droning on in Spanish about whatever, but when she turned back towards Alex, her face turned red.

"Alright, since Alexander thinks getting on my nerves is funny, why doesn't he answer the question I asked."

"No entiendo nada," He spoke in a poor Spanish accent. He saw Hazel out of his peripheral vision once again, biting her tongue and trying not to laugh.

"Alright then, Hazel?" And then Hazel spoke. Alex didn't know what he was expecting, and he sure couldn't tell what she was saying, but she answered in perfect Spanish.

"Gracias, Hazel." Alex turned to Hazel with a look of shock on his face, to which she responded with a shrug. He pulled his phone out under his desk and texted jack.