Vending Machine Choco

~Kara's POV~

"What's up my homo?" Brainy says when I open my door after he knocks.

I choke on the juice I had been drinking, laughing. "I'm sorry what?"

"What is up? I thought that that was what I was supposed to say." He says walking into my apartment.

"I meant the other thing, you called me your homo." I can't help but laugh.

"I was under the impression it meant friend, is that incorrect? Did I just say something rude? I said it to Alex earlier and she laughed but didn't say anything about it."

I laugh to myself again, "Of course she didn't."

"I really don't understand. Does homo not mean friend? Alex would have corrected me if i used the wrong word." Brainy seemed a bit stressed, I hadn't meant to freak him out.

"I think the word you are looking for is homie, not homo." I explain.

"Ah, I see. Well then why didn't Alex correct me? What does it mean?"

"It is short for homosexual, meaning someone who is gay." Brainy still seems a little bit confused. "Do you not have gay people from your time?" I ask seriously concerned.

"I am not sure what you mean? Is it a kind of alien? I don't recall anything about gays." Brainy looks deep in thought.

I smile, taking another drink of juice, "It's not a kind of alien, it just means someone who likes the same gender as them. Do you honestly not have gay people in the future? That's terrifying." I can't really imagine a world where Alex couldn't be herself.

"Oh no we have them, they just don't have specific labels, you guys are really big on labels here." Brainy explained.

"Wait, so you just don't question it, there are no labels? You just like whoever you like? People don't just assume you're straight?" That actually sounds amazing, I know what it's like to have to hide a part of who you are from everyone, and while being an alien is different from being gay, coming out is hard.

"I'm not quite sure what you mean by straight, however there really aren't assumptions, and the only labels people use the genders they are attracted to, and even then only sometimes. Do you guys have multiple labels? It just seems inconvenient."

"It is, and it's also really stressful for people who aren't sure who they like." I say.

"You mean like how you are confused about how you feel for Lena?" I nearly choke on my drink.

"I'm sorry, what?" I am definitely not confused about how I feel about Lena. I'm just in denial, and I would like to keep it that way.

"Is that not common knowledge?" He says calmly as ever.

"No, i have no idea what you're talking about." I want to change the subject. "Do you guys not have labels for transgender people either?"

"I actually know that one, I once heard some people bothering this lovely lady for it, so I did my research. In my time we don't need a specific label for that, it's just widely accepted. Why do you ask?"

"I'm just curious," I was also partially asking for Nia, because I know how she feels about Brainy and how heartbroken she would be if Brainy were to be upset if he found out.

Then there was a knock on the door. I quickly x-rayed the door to see who it was. "Speak of the devil," I say, opening the door to Nia.

"Was the devil spoken of?" Brainy questions.