"I'll let you handle the summoning," she told her brother.

"Brat," muttered Carter. His teeth chattered and he decided that rather than argue it would be easier just to summon the boat on his own. He reached into his reserves of magic and formed the hieroglyphics that he needed with his mind. Then he focused on pulling the boat to him, out of the ether or Duat or wherever it was when it wasn't in use, but almost immediately he realized that it wasn't going to work. The magic just didn't feel right.

Carter staggered and fell to his knees as the magic broke away from him. He got a mouthful of salt water before he felt himself being hauled up by both arms. Sadie was pulling him up on his right, and Nico on his left, and neither of them had taken the time to shed their shoes or roll up their pants before plunging in after him.

"W-w-w-what's w-w-w-wrong-g-g?" demanded Nico, but his teeth were chattering so badly that it was almost impossible to make out what he was trying to say. "Is-s-s-s it-t-t n-n-n-not work-k-k-king?"

Carter shook his head. "I don't know if it's because we can't call the boat in the ocean, or if it's because the camp's protections are blocking me, even here, but it's not working."

"Well isn't that peachy?" asked Sadie. "Can we get out of the bloody water then?"

"P-p-p-please!" agreed Nico.

"What in Hades are you three doing?" asked Annabeth, suddenly on the beach behind them right when they turned around.

"W-w-w-wah!" yowled Nico in surprise. "An-n-n-nab-b-beth! W-what-t-t-t are y-y-y-"

"Shut up, Nico. I asked you first," said Annabeth.

"Isn't it obvious?" asked Sadie as she trudged on up out of the surf. "We're practicing for a polar-bear swim. Why don't you join us?"

"You followed us?" asked Carter. He had to make an effort to keep from stuttering himself.

"Yes, I followed you. The Hunters have been keeping an eye on your cabin all night at my request. When they heard you leave, they got me and I came to find out what's going on," said Annabeth. "I want to know what you've gotten my boyfriend involved in because he's not talking."

"That's kind of because he's not involved," said Sadie.

"I don't believe you."

"I c-c-c-can't-t-t f-feel m-m-my f-f-feet-t-t-t!" cried Nico dropping to the ground and peeling off his boots and socks. "G-g-g-g-god-d-d-s-s-s!"

"You alright there, Death Boy?" asked Sadie.

"Sh-sh-shut-t-t-t -"

"Well excuse me for being concerned. Let's just hope we don't have to get someone to give you a piggy-back ride this time."

"You all met before you two came to camp, didn't you?" asked Annabeth. "How? And how did Percy get involved?"

"What, they're not allowed to have friends outside of camp?" asked Sadie.

"Sadie," said Carter. He wanted to diffuse the situation but didn't know how. "Look . . . Annabeth, isn't it? I'm sorry but . . . I think you've got the wrong idea about all this."

"Then set me straight." Annabeth crossed her arms and glared at him.

"Well . . ." Carter's voice was barely audible over the sound of Nico's chattering teeth. "There is a good explanation for everything . . . We just . . ."

"We should have this conversation later," said Sadie. "Now that our polar-bear swim practice is over we should dry off and warm up so that we don't get hypothermia. Nico's turning blue, in case you haven't noticed."