Oh.

'How did he sound when you guys spoke? Normal? Sick? Odd?'

'Wow, just wow. Never knew a day like this would come. You're worrying over Uthman. Do you like him that much?'

I rolled my ears and bit my lower lips to stop the words brewing in my throat. Instead, I just smiled sweetly.

'Just answer my question, hmm?'

He ignored my question and continued to shade whatever it is that he was drawing. I bit my lower lips again. God knows I was nearing desperation.

'Okay Okay. Suit yourself then.'

I stood up from the stool and turned to leave.

'He sounded normal oo. Sha let me tell you before you go and plan my burial.'

I smiled before turning back.

'Well, thanks but no thanks

I heard him chuckle lightly as I walked out of the studio. Akin is an idiot. No doubt about that.

I saw Michelle and her gang walking towards me, towards the Arts Studio once I got outside. She bumped into me and she dusted the side of her uniform that touched me with a look of disgust on her face.

Ignore her Jade. She's not worth it.

And that's what I did.

*******

Lather that night, I was in my room reading my notes all the while still thinking of Uthman. I had dropped a message for him on Whatsapp but he was yet to reply. Even Akin was not replying to the messages I sent to him. Who knows if that one was ignoring my messages on purpose?

I heard voices downstairs and I stood up. That means Saheed or Dad was home or the both of them. I went downstairs and they were in the sitting room.

'Ekaabo Sir. I didn't know you were back.'

Dad looked up from the phone he was pressing.

'Jadeshola. How're you? We did not know you were still up.'

I glanced up at the wall clock. It was just 10 PM.

'Aah, Dad. Why would I be asleep by this time? I was reading actually.'

Lie lie lie. Eeeh. You that you were thinking of boy.

Shut up.

'Good. Good of you. Make us proud in your upcoming exams oo.'

I smiled. 'As always.'

I looked around the sitting room briefly and my eyes fell on the portrait of Zee and me. Even just looking at her picture hurts. God knows where she is and what she is doing. I looked away only to see Saheed looking at me. I looked away from him.

'Are you okay, Jadeshola?'

I glanced at him before standing up from the chair I was sitting on.

'Of course Yes. Is there a reason why I should not be okay?'

'You know what I mean.'

He replied, his gaze intent on my face.'

I started walking towards my room.

'No, I don't.'

I heard him stand up and he started walking towards me. I stopped by the stairs

'I'm talking about Zainab. You've been repressing your thoughts about her and you should know more than anyone else how much harm that is going to do to your health.'