"There was a really really really loud thunder. Daisy was scared and she woke me up. I woke daddy up because she wouldn't stop crying."

"Okay, your mommy was right. Let's get you back to sleep—"

Daisy wouldn't let go of her daddy's shirt, and she only clutched tighter. "I don't wanna!"

"Daisy, it's not even raining anymore! You shouldn't be scared. You can sleep in my bed so you won't be scared."

It took a while to get them back to bed, especially after the small bickering that wouldn't stop. But eventually, they gave in to their sleepiness and willingly lay down on the bed, somehow snuggled into one twin-sized bed—Daisy's—but I had to sing them a lullaby until they finally fell sound asleep.

I kissed them, my heart growing each time they mumbled to me in their sleep. But when I turned around, I was the one receiving a kiss on my own forehead, and I smiled.

"Why are you awake?" he whispered. "Did we wake you up?"

I took his hand and slowly led him out of the door, closing it quietly. "No," I said as we walked downstairs. "I just had a nightmare."

His eyes were surprised, concerned. He looked at me closely and probably realized how shaken I looked. "Was it bad? You haven't had those in months."

"Pretty bad," I admitted. "But it's okay."

I sat on the kitchen stool, but he went to brew me a cup of tea instead. He muttered, "You always say that."

I laid my folded arms on the counter and rested my chin on top. The thunders outside were dying down, and the house was quiet again. Once he was done, he slid the warm cup silently and sat down on the stool next to me, turning it around so he could face me.

"Thank you, Jonah," I murmured gratefully before taking a sip and letting the warmth slid down my throat. His arms reached out and he brushed my hair behind my ear, his thumb rubbing my cheek as he did so. He looked at me for a long time, without a word, and I shook my head with a small laugh. "What?"

Jonah smiled. "Nothing." He shook his head and brushed his thumb against my skin one more time before pulling his hand away. "How long were you standing behind the door?"

"Long enough to witness yet another ridiculous fairytale story of yours," I teased. "I mean, really? Since when did ghosts bite humans? They're ghosts!"

He rolled his eyes and took the cup from my hand, taking a sip of his own. "The kids love it."

"I know. You're a good storyteller." I stole the cup back from him and gulped down the rest of the tea. "You should've woken me up, too," I said. "How scared was she?"

"She was crying so loud, I'm surprised you didn't wake up because of her." He slightly tilted his head to the side. "Reminds me of Daisy the doll..."

I laughed. "Oh, the good old times."

It was surprising, but none of our children—Lucy and Daisy—cried as hard as that stupid doll when they were a baby. Of course there were nights when they wouldn't stop crying and Jonah and I couldn't get a blink of sleep—but nowhere as bad as the creepy doll we took care of in high school.

Of course, I still owed the stupid doll so much. Without it, I wouldn't be here right now, snuggled against the love of my life while watching our children sleep.

"Hey, I love you," he said randomly, and I laughed. That was what he always did—express his love for me whenever he could. And I never told him that I loved it when he did that. It always made me fall in love all over again with him, as if it was just yesterday that I saw his face for the first time.