Chapter 4

It felt like an eternity. I was imprisoned by the depths of his eyes starring awkwardly into mine. Finally, I snapped to once I realized he must be awfully uncomfortable tied that way.

  I stepped forward and grabbed the knife from my pouch. He flinched, looking at the knife then at me rapidly.

"It's ok, I'm cutting you free."

  I heard him sigh and relax as I bent down to start gradually slicing the lasso. He didn't seem to notice, for he didn't protest. I didn't think he knew it was his lasso though...

    After he slid off, he started to caress his wrist. I noticed serious incisions from the rope slicing into his skin.

 "Are you hurt?" I managed to say, my voice sounded weak and feeble. I seriously felt like punching myself for the comment, since he obviously was hurt, and my approach.

  He looked at me and was I quite stunned when he said,

 "No - really?"

  Ouch. Not only did I think he was a jerk – he’s an ass.

  My face went cold. Still trying to process what he said.

 "Oh ok, then you'll be fine on your own.. And it’ll be getting dark soon, so have fun either getting eaten or freezing to death." It wasn't the swankiest comeback, but I was sure proud of it. I didn't really care to wait if he made a nasty comment back or not.

Before waiting for his response, I rotated on my heels and trudged back to camp, attempting to look attractive in the process. I was impressed, though, that I heard hoof beats behind me. The horses obviously backed me up on this too.

  After a five minute stroll through the woods, and collecting sticks along the way, I had a large bundle of sticks, two horses, and my dignity.

 I dropped the sticks in my fire pit and went to my tent to fetch my flint stones.

             One strike - Sparks flew. Two strikes - A disappearing glow.

 After a bit, the fire felt warm against my face as I got it going. Closing my eyes, I took in the warmth as my skin tingled all over. It was getting colder every night, so a fire is one of the few things I look forward to now ‘n days.

 I wondered what that boy was up to, so I stood to survey the landscape. Hm... Well, I saw a bumpy upset in the shadows- must be him.

  The horses turned their attention over to him, since they saw me glance over.

It got me thinking - Horses are very attentive. They can hear, sense, and feel the slightest movement or touch. I almost forgot what it was like to be close with a horse... Let alone a friend.

  When I was 8 or so, I was homeschooled and lonely: No one to talk with or play with.

Until I met Zion, the horse across the street.

 What was very special about me and him, was that we had so much in common. He didn't have a buddy either, and was kept in a small pen. Almost every day, I would visit him and bring him carrots - sometimes apples.

 We grew to be pretty awesome buds. He would neigh to me every time he saw me, and not just for the treats. He saw me as a person who loved him, and as a herd member... I thought the same for him... One night, I haltered him up with one of my homemade halters, snuck him out, and we had the best night of our lives. Eventually, I got to where I could gallop on his back. He loved to run with me.

   I didn’t know that the day after would be a disaster for the two of us.

 He was being sold.