8) Create Conflict and Tension

Conflict produces tension that makes the story begin. Tension is created by opposition between the character or characters and internal or external forces or conditions. By balancing the opposing forces of the conflict, you keep readers glued to the pages wondering how the story will end.

Possible Conflicts Include:

-         The protagonist against another individual

-         The protagonist against nature (or technology)

-         The protagonist against society

-         The protagonist against himself or herself

Yourke’s Conflict Checklist

-         Mystery. Explain just enough to tease readers. never give anything away.

-         Empowerment. Give both sides options.

-         Progression. Keep intensifying the number and type of obstacles the protagonist faces.

-         Causality. Hold fictional characters more accountable than real people. Characters who make mistakes frequently pay and, at least in fiction, commendable folks often reap rewards.

-         Surprise. Provide sufficient complexity to prevent readers predicting events too far in advance.

-         Empathy. Encourage reader identification with characters and scenarios that pleasantly or unpleasantly resonate with their own sweet dreams or nightmares.

-         Insight. Reveal something about human race.

-         Universality. Present a struggle that most readers find meaningful, even if the details of the struggle reflect a unique place and time.

-         High Stakes. Convince readers that the outcome matters because someone they care about could lose something precious. Trivial clashes often produce trivial fiction.

Jam