Justus turns away so Mav won't see his smile.

I keep my face serious. "I'm so proud of you."

"You don't even know what I've done yet!"

"Then tell us," Harriet says with a laugh.

Mav eyes everyone in the Bunker with suspicion before grabbing me by the hand and pulling me into another room.

"In case there's a spy," he explains.

"Of course," I agree, whispering so that he can enjoy the intrigue of his moment.

"I've created a network of ears for you, instead of an army," Mav says. "Using our brains, like you said."

"I was talking about school, buddy," I reply, anxiety beginning to gnaw at my stomach.

"This is more important. Kids like me can go places and no one notices us, or cares if we're listening. So we decided to get information to help you. And it worked!"

My worry is full-blown now. "Mav, this sounds dangerous."

"We know the names of two officers at the Evolved police station who are working with Crew! They're not even Evolved themselves! They're Throwbacks, covering up their lavalieres with makeup or something."

Mav hands me a piece of paper with a list of names, most of which are crossed out. I don't recognize the two names that Mav circled.

"You believe me, right?" Mav asks. "Blu heard Officer Branston talking to Officer Billet about stealing keys to the station's armory, and Jin and I followed Officer Billet right to the Chrysalis. You said no one can get inside unless they're a Throwback."

I get down on one knee and grip Mav's shoulders. "I believe you. But you shouldn't have done this. You could get really hurt."

Mav stomps his foot. "Stop talking to me like I'm a stupid kid! You're the only person who doesn't do that to me. I can save lives too."

"But school—"

Mav shoves me away from him and storms out of the Bunker. I move to follow him, but Harriet pulls me back.

"I don't know what you two were arguing about, but let him have time to cool off," she advises.

She waits for me to nod my agreement before letting go of my arm. I trust that Harriet knows how to handle these kids better than anyone, but it hurts to know that Mav is mad at me. Worse, disappointed.

The least I can do is make sure that Mav's information goes to good use. "Marie, can we do a search on Officers Branston and Billet? Mav says that they're the spies in the Evolved police station working for Crew."

"I'll find out everything I can and call in an anonymous tip to the police station," Marie says.

"Tell me that Mav's not spying for you," Justus hisses.

"He did it all on his own."

"And you let him?"

An image of Mav bleeding out on the street like Windsom Carter burns in my mind. The walls of the Bunker are too close. I need air.

My vision tunnels as I stumble through the Lab, and then up into the streets of Seattle. It feels like I'm sucking air through a tiny straw.

A warm hand on my back slows my breathing.

"I'm sorry," Justus says. He tips his forehead against my own. "I know how much you love Mav, and he's always made his own decisions."

A bright light interrupts our moment. A videographer is using a remote-controlled camera that is hovering nearby. It zips above our heads, like an annoying fly, to capture every detail of our encounter.

Justus and I jump apart, realizing too late that our action probably makes us look guiltier than we are.

"Give me an exclusive, and I'll let you have a chance to tell your own story," the reporter promises Justus. "Who is this Throwback?"

She grabs my wrist to get a good look at my lavaliere. Her eyes widen when she sees the comedy and tragedy mask on my inner wrist, which marks me as destined for the entertainment industry.

"I know you! You're Joan of Arc, from that Strand video the Throwback terrorists interrupted," she says, her face glowing.

She's got the scoop of her year, and she knows it. Justus tries to snatch her camera out of the air, where it's hovering near his face, but the reporter quickly has it zip out of range.

"I'm not telling you anything," Justus growls.

"Screw off," I add.

The reporter's smile vanishes, and a calculating look replaces her earlier glee. "You two are breaking the law with your relationship. You could end up with jail time, Justus, and Joan here could be retired."

"We aren't together! We can't be! Look at her eyes. Are they gold from Amp? You know contact between us would kill her. You have no case."

The reporter cocks her head to the side. "Perhaps a Romeo and Juliet angle would play better to the public. Doomed romance. Did you two know each other before Justus here discovered his Status?"

I'm ready to punch her by now, but Justus shoves me away. "Run. I'll distract her."

It goes against my nature to flee instead of fight, but anything I do will only give this reporter more fodder for her piece.

"Yes, I knew her before I was Confirmed as Evolved," Justus says, as I slip away. "But we're friends, no more. End of story."

His words are a lie for the reporter and her camera, but underneath is a kernel of truth. Friends is all we can ever be, even if my stupid heart tellsme that's impossible.