Kittens

Small A/N before we start: I actually used a prompt generator for this! I wasn't too sure of the idea at first, but I think it'll help me with making new parts to this. Let me know if you want to see more of this type of stuff.

Prompt used: Stanley and Narrator are neighbors and they don't necessarily like/notice each other at first, but Narrator gets kittens and Stanley comes over just to spend some time with them and it charms Narrator's heart.

It's 3am. It's 3am. The Narrator laid awake in his bed, staring at the ceiling. He hasn't been able to sleep. And he knows exactly why.

His stupid neighbor.

His neighbor is playing video games early in the morning at full volume. The Narrator desperately needs his sleep, obviously, and can't do that if all he hears is the television next door. Why did he have to move in next to him, of all people? He hated it. He hated him.

Well, him was an understatement, they're never necessarily rude to each other during conversation, and it's not like they're at each others throats either. It's more like despising each other out of spite.

Stanley, who was his roommate, wasn't able to sleep at all, so he needed something to kill the time. Of course, the high volume video games weren't necessary and that's exactly why The Narrator disliked him so much. He never knew what the right thing to do was, let alone make a good decision. Stanley was a button-pusher. Both figuratively and literally.

Then again, Stanley for some reason slept during the day rather than the night, whether it be by personal preference or something else. Which meant that he would be kept awake by The Narrator's job of, of course, narrating for online positions. This would keep Stanley up, because he would get almost too invested in what he was doing and started speaking loudly. He'd go over and complain but... he doubts they know of ASL. Which, they barely do.

The Narrator covered his ears with both sides of the cushiony pillow, groaning in frustration when that barely even helped reduce the noise. Considering he probably won't be sleeping at all tonight, The Narrator sat up and exited his bed, where he then headed towards the kitchen to make a coffee.

While he was busy making it, however, he heard a small faint noise outside. A squeak, almost, but in a whimpering fashion. Curious, he had stepped towards his front door, as that was where noise was coming on the other side.

...

It was a box of kittens.
Precisely, 5 malnourished kittens mewing in a box. The Narrator instantly felt sorry just by seeing what shape they were all in.

"Oh god, you all must be freezing out here..."
He had carefully picked up one, almost as if they were fragile pieces of glass that could break at any given moment. "And hungry....." He would also mutter under his breath, before placing the kitten back inside the box and took the entire thing with him inside, shutting the door behind him. He had placed the box on the floor, grabbing bowls of cat food he had and watched them all quickly climb out and eat from the bowls.

"I wonder who could have left you outside like that." He sighed, knowing the responsibilities and time it takes to not only keeping one, but five kittens healthy. One smaller than the rest, possibly a runt, was staring outside of the nearest window, meowing nonstop. Although, a lot of the cats would consistently meow but this one was louder, more curious. The Narrator picked his head up, slowly following the kittens gaze to.......

Someone outside his window...just.......staring.

....Wait. Is that Stanley?

"Stanley?" The Narrator questioned the man standing outside the window; who was looking at the cats like he wanted to pet one. He immediately furrowed his eyebrows, walking to the windowsill. "Shouldn't you go bother another neighbor? Also, why are you standing outside my window of all spots?" Stanley's eyes were only focused on the kitten that was staring back at him. The older man would look back and forth at the two, before sighing. "Stanley." The man quickly batted his eyes at him. ".....Go to the door." He said with some reluctance, but couldn't take it back after watching the joy in Stanley's eyes as he'd quickly run to the front door.

The Narrator tiredly walked over to the door, opening it only for Stanley to run past him and grab one of the kittens before flailing on the couch with it. The Narrator sighed, before sitting next to him with the cup of coffee he forgot he'd made. "Be careful with them, they're fragile." Stanley paid no mind, but knew well enough to be gentle with animals. The kitten, held closely but carefully to Stanley's chest mewed as if they knew he was talking about them. Stanley looked over at the box, pointing at it with one hand while petting the feline with the other. "Oh. I found them outside abandoned in a box. I wish I could take them all in but I won't have the time to take care of all of them at once. I'll drive to the adoption center first thing tomorrow and drop them off there. I just wanted to give them a nice meal."

Stanley listened up until he mentioned not being able to take care of all of them, to which he jumped at the opportunity. Non-verbally of course, but he did frantically point at himself. The Narrator took notice, raising an eyebrow. "Would you take care of some of them?" Stanley nodded, sitting up as the cat he was holding jumped out of his grip and with the others. "It's a big responsibility-" He tried to continue before Stanley put a "hush" finger to The Narrator's mouth.

"Alright, alright. Come by tomorrow, I'll give you the half you'll take, got it?" Stanley nodded, leaving by....climbing out the window. He just deadpanned, not surprised as he'd lock the window Stanley had just left from. "He's strange....but he has a good spirit. I honestly want to be friends with him..."

Hi! Just want to apologize for the VERY late update. I've been working on this chapter on and off but I promise I'll have more come out more often.