9: May 10th of 1994

Start from the beginning

I was livid. Enzo he was going to pay for this. I was going to kick his ass. Maybe he needed his neck snapped to learn a damn lesson. I can't believe we have a dead body to take care of now.

"I'm sorry that Enzo killed her. He's—" I was apologizing, walking over to Matt who was finally being let go from my husband's hold.

"A monster. Yeah, I know," Matt said, cutting my off. Then he looked from me to Stefan. "But with both of you here, you could have stopped him, and you didn't."

"We tried!" I argued. "But you two just pissed him off more before I could convince him to let her go."

"Cause talking would've fixed it, right?" Matt scoffed, trying to walk away. I moved to get in his way and pushed my hands against his chest, pushing him back. "Come on—"

"No, you come on," I spat. "You know me, Matt. If I thought I needed to get physical I would've. But I know him. He would've let her go if I had just another second to plead with him. Okay? She did not need to die. I know that. And Stefan and I didn't want that. Do you believe me? If he or I tried to attack Enzo she would've died either way. Do you understand?" I asked him, holding him tightly by the shoulders now and staring into his sad, dark blue eyes. "Do you?" I repeated more aggressively.

"I understand that no matter how close vampires get to humans, our lives will always mean less, so when push comes to shove, we'll be on opposite sides," he retorted, shrugging me off while I loosened my grip due to shock at his words. "Which is what Tripp knew and I didn't," he added as he walked away.

"Kenz," Stefan called softly. But before I let him comfort me, I used my vamp speed to knock Matt on his ass just as he was picking up Sarah. Now I was angry. Very.

"What the hell, Kenzie?!" Matt cried out.

"You listen here Matthew Donovan," I growled, yanking him to his feet. Then I grabbed him by the collar of his shirt, lifting him off the ground threateningly.

"Kenzie, put him down," Stefan ordered, walking over to us cautiously. I gave him a sharp glare. He was not to interfere. He had my rage to deal with next. For lying and keeping secrets.

"You are like a brother to me," I told Matt. "You are family. You are one of my closest friends. I've known you forever. And you will do good to remember that when I became a vampire I had to die, and I died because I made sure you got to live. I asked the love of my life to save you instead of saving me. So don't you ever, say you and I or you and Stefan are on opposite sides. You're baby mother is a vampire. Your son is sleeping peacefully in my car. Did you forget that to when you got on your mighty high horse?" I snapped.

He stared at me for a moment and I put him down, letting him go. "I'm sorry, Kenzie," he apologized. I let out a shaky breath before opening my arms. He hugged me tightly and I held on, not letting him go for a few minutes. My heart almost broke.

"I love you, Matty," I mumbled into his shoulder.

"I love you too," he said.

I smiled, pulling back. I held him by his shoulders again, gently now. "I am always on your side. I won't let anything happen to the people I care about. That includes all you humans. You, Mav, Jeremy, Ric, and Tyler... I love all you guys," I told him.

Matt nodded. "I know, I know. But... I can't deal with anymore vampires, Kenzie. You, Elena, Care... You guys are my family too, but that's it."

"Okay, well... you may be mad at all other vampires, but I promise you, Stefan cares about you all too. He's not perfect and he doesn't always know what's best. But his moral code is pretty strong. I know him well enough to say that. And to tell you that he's thinks out everything m over and over to make sure what he decides to do is what he feels is the right thing for everyone in the bigger picture," I told him honestly. Matt nodded and I glanced over his shoulder at Stefan. "What was her name if it wasn't Sarah?" I asked my husband.