🧟‍♂️POV Change brought to you by Cauliflower Brains

Following the group from behind, Bree kept a careful eye on her teammates to make sure no one got separated from the group. Bonzo was doing the same, but his actions had changed since they entered the woods.

His normally bright and cheery expression had faded into a distant, serious one as if he were deep in thought. As he walked, Bonzo clenched and clenched his fists, something Bree had picked up on as one of his nervous habits. Even his pace had slowed, as if he were deliberately trying to distance himself from the group.

As she walked, Bree shifted over to move closer to Bonzo, only to frown when she noticed him move away each time she drew close. This wasn't like Bonzo at all. He always wanted to be close to everyone, especially her.

Taking a deep breath, Bree reached out and grabbed his hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. She immediately felt Bonzo tense under her touch. She looked up to meet his gaze, only to find him looking away.

"Bonzo," she said softly, giving his hand another squeeze. "Are you okay?"

Bonzo shifted uncomfortably under her gaze as he answered. "Ag zorog (I'm Scared)."

Bree moved in front of Bonzo, gently taking his other hand in her own. "You're scared of going full Zombie, aren't you?"

"Za (Yes)." Bonzo replied, still refusing to meet her gaze.

"It's okay to be scared." Bree assured him. "Besides, Zed, Eliza, and even Bucky believe you can control it, so everything will be fine, right?"

"Ag ro'zon gro (I don't know)." He whispered.

"I do." Bree said, flashing him her most confident smile. "You can do this."

"Gazar. (Thank you.)" Bonzo began, giving her hands a gentle squeeze back. "Bak bron zu ag zongro ru?(But what if I hurt you?)"

Bree's face fell at his words. He wasn't just scared of going full zombie, he was scared of hurting someone, hurting her. She couldn't begin to imagine what kind of scenarios Bonzo must have been playing out in his head to have that thought cross his mind.

"Oh Bonzo," she sighed softly. "I know you'd never hurt me, I trust you."

Bree slipped one hand out from his grasp and held it up towards him. Bonzo, knowing what she wanted, lowered his head so his cheek rested in her palm. He closed his eyes at her touch, slowly allowing himself to relax.

Bonzo placed his free hand over hers, silently wishing they had the time to cherish the tender moment. After s moment, he opened his eyes and met her gaze. Her brown eyes were warm and their gentleness gave him comfort.

"Ag ro'zon garu ar gree zag za gronzgar." (I don't want you to see me as a monster.) Bonzo admitted, leaning in to rest his forehead against her own.

"You will never be a monster in my eyes." Bree assured him. "You know why?"

"Zrar?" (Why?) Bonzo asked, a hint if curiosity dancing in his eyes.

Bree took a deep breath, suddenly feeling shy as she repeated the words she had been practicing in her bedroom mirror for weeks. "Gar garziga, Bonzo."

I love you. The simple phrase caused Bonzo'd cheeks to gain a reddish tint as his eyes widened in surprise and excitement. Bree had learned to understand zombie fairly easily and he had been teaching her how to speak it, but he hadn't taught her that phrase.

"Gar garziga ar, Breeska." (I love you too, Bree.) Bonzo whispered, closing the gap between them.

Bree squeaked in surprise as their lips connected, staring wide-eyed before allowing herself to melt into the kiss. 

After a moment, the two broke apart and Bonzo stared at her sheepishly. "Zodzig." (I'm sorry)

"Don't be." Bree smiled. "I liked it."

Bonzo smiled, holding his hand out to her. "Breeska, grah ru zrog ag zah?" (Bree, will you hold my hand?)

"Of course." Bree nodded, placing her hand in his. "I'll be by your side the whole time."

Bonzo smiled and tugged her forward. The group had gotten ahead of them and they needed to catch up. The young couple broke into a sprint, racing down the path hand in hand.

They slowed down as they reached the group and it seemed that nothing had changed until two growls echoed through the forest.

Eliza and Zed. Bree felt her heart skip a beat as she turned to face Bonzo, whose hand was now shaking in hers.

She watched helplessly as he writhed in pain, the dark veins fully consuming him. When it stopped, he stood straight and opened his eyes. Despite his transformation, Bonzo's eyes still held their gentleness.

"Breeska?" His distorted voice growled out questioningly.

Bree gave his hand a gentle squeeze, letting him know she wasn't going to leave. "I'm right here Bonzo. I'm not going anywhere."

Bonzo nodded in response, keeping his hand in hers as they followed the group. A few cheerleaders kept glancing back nervously, but otherwise everyone was calm.

To their relief, the hike only lasted about five more minutes before Eliza's distorted voice growled loudly from the front. "Moonstone!"

Author's Note

Sorry this chapter took so long. Writing in zombie tongue is tricky. If anyone knows where I could find a list of zombie terms or something I would be so happy! I had found one but page has been deleted. Until next time!

                        -Meloetta246