~Hill~

~Chapter 1~

~Hill~

"Hey! Hill!" someone from behind me yelled.

I turned around to see Claire. We were close, but we weren't best friends to be exact.

"Hey Claire," I said, grabbing her by her backpack string to stop her from going any further. She yelped in surprise and spun around to greet me.

"Why are you in such a rush?" I asked. She'd seen her friend excited but never this hyper.

"Can't stop moving. I have to stay in motion," Claire said as she spun around me in slow circles.

"Please tell me you aren't doing that dare with Tom again," I said as I watched in amusement. I felt bad for secretly hoping she would fall.

Claire looked at me with a smirk as she said, "Yes I am, Hill. There's nothing wrong with accepting a challenging every now and then, but you wouldn't know that, would you! "

"I'm sorry that I'm not bad enough to be sent to juvie for a month," I said.

"That was an accident and you know it." She said still spinning.

"Let me get this straight. Crashing into a McDonalds building and ordering food just because you're too lazy, is an accident?" I stated laughing.

"I am not lazy and just think of it as a shortcut in a way" she fired back.

Before I could reply, the morning bell rang ending our conversation. She spun away to her class down the hall. I made my way up the stairs and to my history class. My teacher Mr. Boyde came in and began taking role. Mr. Boyde was a short stubby man with graying hair and brown rimmed glasses. He passed back our quiz grades from the day before. I got a 91 on my quiz. After a while the bell rang and I sprang out of my seat. I fell asleep half way during second period over a lecture Mr. Pines was giving on different types of poetry. Even though I wasn't asleep anymore, I still kept my eyes closed to block out the light.

"Miss Coe, please wake up" he said.

"No can do, sir," I said leaning farther into my chair.

"Why is that, Hill?" he asked.

"Because you don't control my life!" I said still not opening my eyes.

"Well I do control whether you get sent to the office or not," Mr. Pines said.

My eyes instantly popped open at the mention of that, and I sat up while saying, "Oh would you look at, my eyes are open."

He laughed and returned to reviewing the differences between alliteration and repetition. I doodled over a blank piece of paper that was originally for notes. Ring! My third period went by fast since I was sketching the whole time. When the bell rang I stayed behind to put away my art pencils and paper. As I was getting my things together, Mrs. Thompson asked to see me.

"You wanted to see me?" I asked worried.

"That's right. How would you feel about showing your work in Fridays showcase," she asked. Friday. That gave me three days if I started today.

"Do you mind if I think about the offer first?" I asked her.

"Okay well I need at least two art pieces by Thursday," she said and began writing me a pass for my next period. I said "Thank you" and took off with the pass to Mr. Stinely's room.