07.nicknames

A sigh escaped Amari's lips as she sat in the library

A sigh escaped Amari's lips as she sat in the library. The girl was absolutely bored out of her mind.

A few days ago, a girl that went to the local high school went missing, and a few of the Salvatore School kids went to look for her. Normally Amari may have tagged along, but according to Alaric, she had been missing too many classes and she had to stay behind to catch up. Amari was pretty upset but, and she'd never admit this, some of her classes weren't that bad so she didn't really mind.

Origins of species was a class most students took in the sixth grade, but here Amari was taking the class as a sixteen-year-old. Since no one wanted ⏤ Amari figures its more of a don't trust than don't want situation ⏤ her to be in a class with little kids, she gets to take the course mostly alone. Every Monday she pops by the classroom, gets her assignments, and turns them in on Friday. It was easy and because of that, it was one of the only classes she bothered to care about.

Though Advanced Civics was not her thing. Amari was forced to sit in a classroom with about eleven other kids for an hour straight. Because she hates the class so much, Amari has a habit of putting the work for it off until the last minute.

That little habit is precisely why she currently found herself sitting in the library with her earbuds plugged in, working her ass off to finish this essay. An essay comparing the different forms of government: direct democracy, representative democracy, socialism, and some more boring forms of government that Amari didn't give a damn about. Amari glanced down at the paper in front of her that was completely blank even though it was due tonight.

Not being able to leave the school and having to actually do her work had Amari extremely bored. Maybe, and she figures this is highly unlikely, she's so bored because she hasn't seen Hope since their little talk in the woods. Amari's pretty sure she scared Hope off and honestly, she wouldn't blame her. She literally has a raging fire in her from all her daddy issues. Hope should know that getting involved with Amari is a bad idea.

Amari shakes her head as if that'll force all thoughts of Hope out. She's been getting Hope centered thoughts a lot recently, and it's really starting to piss her off.

"You good?" Amari glanced up to see Raf standing there. She chucked upon looking closer at his face. "No, are you good?" Raf reached up to touch the blood that flowed from his lip as if he was just realizing it was there. "Oh, this? Yeah, I'm good."

"Here," Amari pulled out a tissue she keeps in her bookbag. She recently discovered she's allergic to pollen, so tissues are a necessity as of late. She stood up and placed one hand on his cheek while the other gently wiped the blood off. "You know I heal fast, right?"

"Okay, and? So do I, but blood still looks ugly. Can't have you messing up your pretty little face now, can we?"

Amari didn't even think about her comment until she felt him stiffen slightly under her touch. "Oh, relax, dude. I swing the other way anyway" Raf's eyes widened in surprise for a second before he relaxed again and let Amari finish her job. Once most of the blood was gone Amari pulled away and threw the tissue into the trash. "Well, I have an essay to write, and I'm sure you have more campaigning to do before the polls close. So, see you."

"Yeah, and thank you Amari"

"Yep"

As she took her place in front of the blank paper Amari let out a sigh. She stared at the paper for a few seconds before closing her eyes. Knowing it was impossible, but still having some hope, that when she opened her eyes the paper would somehow be a 5,000-word essay. She opened her eyes to see the exact same blank sheet of paper. She groaned before pulling her hand into a fist. A satisfied smirk appeared on her face as she watched the paper be consumed by fire. She glanced over at her book bag and pulled out another piece of paper and finally, she started to write.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Amari was now in a good mood, wait scratch that, Amari was in a great mood. She was in more than just a great mood but her brain felt fried and that was the best adjective she could come up with for now. She exceeded the word count she was assigned on her essay and turned it in forty minutes early. Amari was so anxious to know how she did that she asked her teacher to read it right then and there. Mr. Ellis was so proud of his 'trouble student' for actually doing the assignment that he followed through with the request and told her, and she quotes, "this is really nice. I'm proud of you Amari. I'll have to read through a few more times but you can expect an A. You should be proud". And Amari was proud. If this was how honor roll students felt, Amari figures she should start trying at school more. She knows she won't but hey, it's the thought that counts.

So now, Amari was practically skipping through the halls. Her mind not even wandering to thoughts of her father or the underworld or how to get home. For the first time in a long time, she was happy.

Amari was about to go to her room to turn in for the night but paused when she saw Hope standing at the door. Amari prided herself in being able to tell what people are thinking. Even if she doesn't use her powers to go into their head. But right now, Amari had no idea what Hope was thinking. Her face showed a combination of sadness, joy, regret, and maybe a little bit of anger. "Hey, what's wrong?" Hope turned to face Amari. "Nothing, I'm good." Amari frowned for a second before taking a step closer to Hope. "' Bottling everything up never works.' That's what you told me so don't be a hypocrite, Mikaelson"

"Landon's gone" Amari paused for a second to make sure her next words weren't some snarky remark about Landon. Because she definitely has more than a few of those saved up. "How are you doing?"

"Honestly? I'm not completely sure. Relived, I guess. The school isn't the right place for him and he stole the knife. But this will keep him safe."

"So what's the plan now? Just forget about Landon?"

"If that's what keeps him safe, then yes" Amari paused for a moment and started to pick with her nails. "Not everyone wants to be kept safe. I mean yeah when you like someone you don't want to see them get hurt. But sometimes you gotta go through a little pain if you wanna be happy." Hope smiled and the multitude of emotions on her face slightly faded away. "When did you become so wise?"

"I aced a 5,000-word essay so my IQ went up by like ten points. Anyway, have you noticed that like half the time we talk to each other it's at night when one of us is, like, having a breakdown? We gotta stop doing that"

Hope chuckled. "Yeah, we do. Well, I'm gonna turn in for the night. Goodnight, Mari"

"I get a nickname? I'm honored. Goodnight, Mikaelson"

────── {.⋅author's note ⋅.} ────── ⊰ 

sorry that i haven't updated this in awhile. i lose inspiration for this story really easily but then someone comments on this story or something and i start working on an update asap. i've also been very busy this week because my school switched to online and most of my teachers are giving me even more work than normal. 

please vote and comment, especially comment because it motivates me. thank you for reading and thank you all for 7k reads on this story!!

 thank you for reading and thank you all for 7k reads on this story!!