Daisies

Word count:
3.2k

Soulmate AU: Everyone is born with the last words they ever hear from their soulmate written on their arm. Angst.

"What is up with Mr. Harrington wanting to know everyone's words" MJ huffed as she placed her lunch tray on the table, where Ned, Peter, Liz and you sat.

"I mean what can we say, he's a hopeless romantic" Ned joked and dramatically waved his hands in the air, to which everyone laughed. Well, everyone except for you.

Mr. Harrington had showed in class a documentary about soulmates. He then spent the rest of the class asking about people's opinions on the subject and wanting to know what words were written on their arms. You were quiet the whole time, as you didn't wish to participate on the debate. To you it was a private matter and you liked to keep it that way.

It wasn't that you didn't believe in soulmates, in fact, you loved the idea of having someone to share unconditional love and loyalty. But the rest about it? It was just cruel. The words in people's arms were cursed, evil. They ruined people's lives, some of them spend their whole lives being afraid, others got married and after years find out their spouse is not the one, and for the most unfortunate ones, they never even get to be together before the other one dies and they have to live knowing that. Many people liked to share their words with the world, while others kept them to themselves, the latest being your choice.

Because your words? God, you always avoided thinking about them as if that would make them disappear.

'Please don't leave me'

Those four words might seem dumb for someone else, but to you, they held so much emotion and meaning. 'Please', it was the love of your life pleading, begging for you.

You knew your passing would be painful for your soulmate and you dreaded that moment with your heart. The doubt was always there, would it be too soon in the relationship and you die out of nowhere? Or maybe just maybe you both grow old together and you die next to your husband who wasn't ready to let you go after so many years?

You prayed it was the latest. At least you would've gotten a life together.

You were pulled out of your thoughts when MJ not so gently smacked your arm, and suddenly all eyes were on you.

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" You apologized and pretended to be interested in whatever they were saying.

"I said the words in our arms are stupid, I don't believe in that stuff. Ned is not sure on what he thinks about it and Peter and Liz keep saying soulmates are real" MJ quickly explained and you prepared yourself to the interrogation that was about to come your way.

"And we want to know what you think about it so we can settle this down" Liz questioned as everyone looked at you expectantly once again.

"I- I have a class right now, I have to go" You excused yourself and walked as fast as you could to get out of the cafeteria, leaving your friends confused, and a certain spider boy worried.

You didn't want your friends laughing at you just because the words in your arm affected you in such a different way than it did to them.

"Doesn't she realize we are in lunch break or what" Ned frowned and Mj just chuckled.

"She's been acting really weird the whole day" Liz confirmed and Peter decided it was best to see if you were alright.

He found you – kind of hiding – in the library, anxiously tapping your foot as you had your mind on everything but the book on your hands.