9 - Honoring Ceremony

CHAPTER NINE: HONORING CEREMONY

      "Today marks a momentous day in human history

"Today marks a momentous day in human history. In our darkest hour, these superheroes donned their colorful costumes..."

Three days after the invasion, all eight heroes were assembled once more on the footsteps of the US Capitol as the President honored them for their efforts in defeating the enemy. There were heavy crowds present and people were in a celebratory mood. In a way, it resembled something right out of a Hollywood movie. And Alex had to say, it definitely felt like they were in a movie.

She was standing in between Hal and Barry, a calm expression on her face. Although, she wasn't showing the excitement she actually felt being here.

Next to her, Hal was grumbling, pouting almost at the speech. "Costumes? This is my uniform."

"Quiet," Batman told him, staring straight ahead.

"Oh, now you wanna bark orders," Hal said, sending Batman his classic annoyed glare. "After I did the heavy lifting and pulled everyone together?"

"You're referring to when you botched my very simple directives and Wonder Woman led the charge?" Batman stated bluntly.

"Cyborg showed you the video?"

"He emailed it to me."

Seeing the smirk on Batman's face, Alex snickered. When Hal turned to glare at her, she looked at him with an innocent smile. "What? I didn't say anything."

"I really hate you two," Hal said, frowning.

"I can't believe people are no longer afraid of us," Diana said, smiling as she looked out over the crowd.

"Or that they think we're a team. We're not a team. But I am pleased to meet some folks who get me," Superman added.

"Yes, it was good to walk among a pantheon again," Diana stated.

"How do you mean?" Superman asked.

Diana looked at the heroes, all standing in a line, staring straight ahead and smiled again. "Hades, Apollo, Athena, Hermes, Hephaestus, Zeus, each a good in their own right."