PROLOGUE

After college, you never truly know what is next to come. Some people end up working for a mediocre company within their realm of expertise and some do not use their degree at all. Working for the F.B.I.? That's unfathomable.

Four years ago, when I took my introduction course to Criminal Justice Administration, my professor invited some of her old partners in to speak to the class about different job opportunities offered in our field. That's when I met David Rossi for the first time.

Agent Rossi is a smart, charming, funny, and exceptional member of the Federal Bureau. He is a writer and a former marine who served in the Vietnam War. His specialty in the Behavioral Analysis Unit is hostage negotiation, and from what I have seen and heard, he is extremely good at what he does. That's when I started to take a particular interest in Agent Rossi. Our relationship began when I started to ask questions about the work his team does, and while some students showed the same interest as me, for some reason David saw something in me that I never saw in myself. He saw potential.

Agent Rossi eventually started coming back as a guest speaker in my junior and senior classes and brought some members of his team with him. I had the honor of meeting his Unit Chief, Aaron Hotchner. Agent Hotchner found my interest in his work flattering and told me that David had been speaking very highly of me around the B.A.U.. Without even trying, I somehow managed to gain interest from Aaron and David. I started looking forward to seeing them on campus when they would come to visit and even went out for coffee a few times when they were in town. When it was time, I was offered an internship with the Federal Bureau and I said yes on the spot. Thanks to Aaron and David, I was able to figure out my purpose for the world.

From a young age, I knew I wanted to help people who couldn't help themselves. I was always standing up for classmates who were bullied and trying to help mean kids understand why they feel the need to act out. When I was seventeen my father was murdered and his body was dumped in the local park not far from my house. The police never solved the case and his murderer is still unknown. Someone purposefully hurt my dad and instead of being angry, I just want an answer. I want to know why this person decided to take him from me. Agent Rossi introduced me to the Behavioral Analysis Unit, and that's when I proceeded to do whatever it took to make sure I would qualify to work with Rossi and Hotch someday.

I graduated college with a bachelors degree in Criminal Justice Administration and Criminology right before my twenty third birthday. I applied previous to graduation to the Federal Bureau of Investigation as a special agent. Most of the time, applicants are required to have previous work experience, but with the help of Agent Hotchner, I was accepted into the program. Five months later, I graduated from the academy and a spot in the Behavioral Analysis Unit was open. Aaron Hotchner and David Rossi made it possible for me to work with the B.A.U.. I will forever be grateful for the potential the two federal agents saw in me from a young age, but I want to do everything possible to avoid letting them down.