We talked and also went over the plan for tomorrow. 

"We're just meeting my dad at the house, where I grew up. You'll love it."

"I believe you," she agreed, and I couldn't believe the words coming out of her mouth. 

Though my mouth dropped a little, I was glad she agreed with me about my father liking her and vice versa instead of getting insecure about not being liked. 

"Good. We were supposed to meet him at about 3-ish, but I called and he said to come over earlier, so we'll head over at 12 and knock it out easily."

She nodded with a mouth full of food. 

"So..." she trailed, chewing her food. She swallowed and put down her burger. "SueEllen and Tommy have Alan."

"Yep."

"Wes and Carrie—no, June, have Whitney, and two other boys. Umm... oh god," she muttered. 

"It's okay, Brooke. They'll all introduce themselves anyway. This isn't a test or anything; you didn't have to study." I attempted to joke, but she dismissed it. 

"No, it's just polite."

I popped a fry in my mouth and just went with it.

"June and Wes's kids are Whitney, Carson, and E.G., Elliot Grayson," I answered for her, and she slumped back in the seat.

"Right. I knew that. Carrie Ann's with Bobby and they've got Lizzie."

"Good job," I praised. "Not that you need to know, but Tommy's a carpenter, Wes and Bobby are truck drivers, SueEllen is a part-time waitress, June owns a bookstore with her mother, and Carrie Ann works at a beauty parlor."

"Thank you."

"Don't thank me. You're going to be okay. They're not going to bite you for not knowing every little detail about them, I promise."

"I know, I know. Let's just get the check and go."

"Brooke," I had started after calling our waiter over to give him my card, "you're the one who bought these tickets. You're the one who wanted to come down here. Don't get all shy on me now, okay?"

She nods but doesn't meet my stare. 

I didn't know why she was acting like that. I had never seen her so insecure or seem so small, and it makes me sad to see her thinking she's not worthy of my family's acceptance because of the mistakes that I made, mistakes I'm trying to fix. 

It's not right. 

I had planned on showing her a good time tomorrow, and I was going to show her that she doesn't need anyone's approval but her own.

But when does the universe ever actually try to help a bastard out?

We had gone back to the bed and breakfast, bellies full and ready to go to bed. I picked Johnny up from the kennel while she went to our room so that he could sleep with us. It was close to nine by the time we got back, and when we got into bed, she held me close, and I let her. 

The next morning, we woke up around seven, right around where we normally wake up, and I woke up determined to erase her worries. I had even called my dad to let him know that Brooke was super nervous, and he promised to help her ease up a bit.

"She knows she doesn't have to worry, right?" he asked, "We're not going to bite her."

"That's what I said," I muse, ruffling Johnny's fur between his ears. "She just really wants your approval. I think she's just intimidated."