After

The next few days passed by in a blur of pheromones, sweat, and cum. By the time Eren's heat had come to a close and Levi's rut had subsided they were exhausted. Those few days had been entirely composed of sex, cuddling, blowjobs, and aftercare. Eren's family came home the day after their hormone balances had evened out. Eren whined and keened when Levi left to go take a shower and pick up more clothes. Mating was an incredibly special thing, especially the very first week, so when Levi returned Eren clung to him like a koala, they were inseparable for the last weeks leading up to the beginning of the school year.  

For the first three months of the school year Levi picked Eren up at 7:35 and they were at the high school by 7:48, they would chat and hang out with their friends before going into the school at 8:05 and not seeing each other until lunch. One day Levi picked up Eren while he had a small cold, he was blowing his nose and sneezing at an incredible frequency, by the way, Levi reacted you would have thought that Eren was dying, asking if was ok or if he needed anything whenever he saw him and giving him never-ending forehead kisses and cuddles when they got home. 

Levi picked Eren up that morning as he always did, as Eren buckled his seat belt Levi's hand found it's way to Eren's thigh, Eren checked his phone and held that hand as if it was his last lifeline. He put his phone away and brought that hand to his lips, gently kissing it before putting it back on his thigh. Levi thought something was wrong, but there wasn't any evidence to support such a thought, Eren's pheromones smelled normal he wasn't behaving any different, everything was normal, there was just that gut feeling, like he had swallowed a handful of rocks along with his cereal that morning. 

"Is everything okay baby?" Eren nodded and smiled

"Yeah, just a little tired that's all." Levi nodded and tightened his hold on Erens thigh. They pulled up to the school and got out of the car. Levi's hand went to Eren's waist as they walked and pulled him closer. Oh God, he knows, no he can't know, Eren you're fine. Eren gave a goofy grin to their friends and joined the conversation about some stupid bullshit Reiner had said last night. 

At lunch, Levi was stuck to Eren's side like a tick, he was like an overprotective mother, wherever Eren went Levi had to know where and when he would be back. As the day went on, that gut feeling just got worse and worse, like there was a boulder in his stomach, something was wrong, something was really really wrong. Levi was on edge for the rest of the day. And when he got home, he was a pacing worried mess. They hadn't hung out after school, they had hung out every day since the start of the year, he tried to convince himself that Eren just had a lot of assignments and that he needed work time, but whenever Eren felt weighed down by work he wanted Levi there to help him work through the problems. This was different. This was bad. 

His stomach dropped when his phone rang, it was Eren, Levi never ever got nervous when his mate called, excited sure, but nervous, never. "Hey Baby, what's up?" Eren sniffed, "Baby?! Are you okay? Do you need me to come to get you?!"    

"No, I just wanted to call to say goodbye." Levi's heart dropped

"No, no baby don't do this, I love you so much, think of your mother, think of your siblings, think of me. We all love you so much-"

"I'm not killing myself, Lee, I have to go away." 

"Where? Can I visit?" There was more crying

"No, Lee, I don't think you'll ever see me again." A tear dripped down Levi's cheek

"Wh-what do you mean? Is it my fault?! Did I do something?!" 

"No of course not Baby, you made my last few months here that happiest of my life. Sometimes I think that I never should have gone to the ceremony, that I shouldn't have met you, because then you wouldn't be hurting, it would have been so much easier. But no, I had to be selfish." 

"Baby, I'm so glad you were selfish, you are the light of my life, and I love you so much, you made every day worth living, but please, don't go." His voice broke on those words.

"I'm sorry Lee, I would stay if I could, I don't want to go, I don't want to, but I don't have a choice. Goodbye Levi, I love you." Those were the last words Levi heard Eren say as he hung up. His lip quivered and tears fell.

"Baby?" He whispered, hoping, praying that Eren was still there. But he was met with only silence. Levi broke, he collapsed to the floor and sobbed.

Eren furiously wiped away the tears and looked at the boarding gate. An old couple looked on in sympathy, his mother kissed his forehead and his father hugged him tightly, "Don't give up, don't ever give up. Fight. Struggle. Kick and scream, but never give up. We'll be here waiting for you when you come back." More tears fell. Eren left their warm embrace and walked down the hallway.     

As he entered the plane he saw the rest of his small team, Armin, Reiner, Bert, Jean, and Annie. All their eyes were red and puffy. He squared his jaw and stood up straight, he had to be strong, if not for himself, then for them. He sat down and allowed Armin to sob into his shoulder, he fought back tears of his own and offered words of comfort, it was all he could do. "This isn't the end, we'll come back, we'll come back we'll have incredible lives with our mates once we've served our duty. We'll be strong. We'll fight. We'll struggle. We'll kick and scream, but we'll never give up." They nodded and wiped away their tears, Eren deflated slightly, it was good that they weren't giving up, that was the last thing they could do.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             The roar of the engines was deafening.