§ȋ× - the new student

It had become a morning routine that Dion, and Indigo would eat breakfast together

It had become a morning routine that Dion, and Indigo would eat breakfast together. Due to her busy schedule, Dion had started cooking for her.

"So, we need to talk about you enrolling in high school." Dion dropped his fork, his head whipping around hastily. "No, no way. I don't do school."

"Dion, it's illegal for you to stay home. You're still under 18. If you want to live here, then—"

"Who says I do?! Maybe I'm just using you for a nice bed, and food." Indigo paused finally meeting the Ghoulie Prince's harsh glaze. "You don't mean that."

   "Let me ask you something, why am I even here? Why did you pick me up that night?" Indigo shrugged. She truly didn't know why she didn't drive by Dion like she would've any other night.

"I wanted to help," Indigo decided.

Dion scoffed, "You're telling me, I'm just a charity case to the poor pitiful serpent princess who had to lose her brother. Guess what, sweetheart? I've lost everyone."

"I'm sorry." Indigo's voice came out a mere whisper then what she meant for it to be. Dion sighed, Indigo had been quite kind to him, the least he could do was try out school.

"I'll try it. If anything goes sideways, even an inch, I'm out." Indigo grinned excitedly.

"Deal."

☉▣☉▣☉

One week after Riverdale high's absorption of its Southside counterpart, and everything was the same. And nothing was the same.

Indigo's friends had gotten over her bold moves in favor of the Serpents. She made peace with their transfer. What she didn't quite realize was brining the Ghoulie Prince, half brother to the leader of the rivaling gang would make things difficult for her all over again.

Of course the enrollment wasn't hard. Dion should've been a junior, but he would be held back in sophomore year to his lack of time in school. That, Dion didn't mind. He'd rather Indigo in his grade than not.

Standing next to his much shorter friend, the pair watched Sweet Pea try out for basketball. At the time, Dion wasn't aware Sweet Pea was a Serpent. Things had been going so smoothly so far.

Indigo let slip a cheer when Sweet Pea knocked Reggie on his hind, and made a basket. It was clear she really liked him, even if she didn't act like it.

When practice was over, Dion waited with Indigo for Sweet Pea to exit the locker rooms. "Good job bro," Indigo reassured Archie as he passed by. "Thanks, Indi."

Finally, Sweet Pea stepped out. His forehead glimmered with sweat, and his eyes said he was tired. Yet, when his vision landed on Dion, rage took over all of his features.

Sweet Pea grabbed Dion's shirt shoving him into a wall. "You have a lot of nerve showing up here, ghoul." Sweet Pea gritted out through his teeth. "I brought him!"

Sweet Pea's breathing is as still heavy as he pushed Dion back whipping around. Sweet Pea shoved a finger in Indigo's face. "You're an idiot for trusting him."

With that, Sweet Pea stormed off. "Indigo—"

"Don't say it. This isn't sideways yet. Let me talk to him. Please."

Dion sighed. "The Serpents don't know I've been helping them. It's supposed to be a secret."

"Malachai doesn't trust you anymore. It's not a secret."

☉▣☉▣☉

"Mr. Jones, eyes up front." Jughead, sitting next to Indigo completely ignored the teacher's instruction. Indigo elbowed him in the side.

"Ow!" Jughead whined.

Indigo smirked pointing forward to Cheryl, and the teacher. "Thank you, Indi."

Cheryl huffed out an annoyed sigh. "As I was saying, each year, we honor the memory of General Pickens, yet, few know the truth."

Cheryl clicked the button on her controller switched the slide. "That is was my great—great—great—grandpappy Colonel Barnabas B. Blossom, who bankrolled General Pickens' settlement of—" yet again, another click, and another slide change.

"— an Eden along the river of Sweetwater, where maple trees grow taller than the steeples of Europe's grandest cathedrals. Which is why, every year, I petition the mayor's office to rename Pickens Day."

In a saving manner, the school bell rung, and Indigo hurried to her art class. She was eager to make peace with her friends. After all, Dion risked his life to help the Serpents.

Indigo pulled herself onto her stool staring at the greatly developing painting. It was him staring back at her, the same cheeky grin, and easygoing eyes. Red covered his chest, Christian was shot in the heart.

"You shouldn't have brought him here." Indigo meaty jumped out of her stool at Sweet Pea's voice. She'd been so captivated by the art Indigo didn't notice Sweet Pea sit down next to her.

"Why is he even here?" Sweet Pea inquired.

"He's staying with me."

"What? Why?!"

"The Ghoulies were going after him."

Sweet Pea scoffed, "Who cares?"

"You should the only reason they were after him was because he risked everything for you." Sweet Pea inhaled sharply, his patience wearing thin. "What the hell does that mean?"

"While you were being pissed at the world, Dion was playing double agent on his own brother. So, yeah, I trust him."

    Sweet Pea was silent. It wasn't like the two talked much anyways in class, but it was like the first day all over again.

Indigo gulped dabbing her brush against the scarlet shaded paint she lifted her hand holding in front of her easel. She was shaking again.

Sweet Pea glimpsed at his own portrait before turning to Indigo's. Sweet Pea sighed cupping
Indigo's shakeup hands with his own much larger ones.

Indigo's breath caught in her throat. A tingly sensation erupted in her hands spreading across her arms, then down her back. "I trust you," Sweet Pea decided. "I guess I'll give him a chance."