օղҽ - the painful reminder

They walked in with smirks

They walked in with smirks. You could only assume their confidence was false because Northsiders stared at them as though they were animals in a zoo.

Indigo contemplated not showing up to school. After being informed of the Southside Serpents transfer, Indigo was ready to leave the state. She wasn't quite sure if she could handle seeing them again.

Indigo went to school though. Whilst the privileged children of the northern Riverdale gawked frustratedly, Indigo stared sadly at the leather clad teens.

"Friends," Veronica's greeting pulled Indigo from her sad, grey thoughts. Indigo hid behind Kevin hoping none of her old friends would notice her existence. "On behalf of the students and faculty here at Riverdale high, welcome to your new school!"

Indigo thought Veronica resembled the voice of a computer. Like something Siri would say. Like something fake.

"To ease this transition, I've set up a registration desk where you can get your locker assignments, class schedules, and a list of sports and extracurriculars. We encourage each and every one of you to drink deeply from the cup that is fair Riverdale."

Then it happened. The Northside's frustrations went to far, and to lead the rebellion, was Cheryl Blossom. "Stand down, Eva Peron!"

Next to her, stood Reggie Mantle. A cocky, flirtatious, stupid, reckless jock whom Indigo quickly realized had no chance at making a college scholarship unless for sports.

"There's the school spirit I so fondly remember." Indigo was quite sure, in a fight, the Bulldogs may have a slight advantage, but the Serpents would win every time. She also knew that if she was seen anywhere near a Northside/Southside brawl, someone would figure her out. Someone would notice her.

"Cheryl, no one invited fascist Barbie to the party," Veronica quipped.

"Wrong Veronica, no one invited Southside scum to our school." All it took was one snarky retort from the redhead, and Indigo slipped out from behind Kevin beginning her escape.

  That was when Indigo made her mistake. Pulling away from her friend, gave her no cover. With no cover, tiptoeing away, the ex serpent caught the vision of a snarky six foot tall serpent with a strange name. A boy who had once been best friends with Indigo's brother.

    Sweet Pea punched Fangs in the arm. The boy groaned rubbing the area his friend had just hit, "What?" Sweet Pea pointed in Indigo's direction in just enough time to see her sandy hair cascade over her faded overalls.

Indigo was in her Art class before anyone else. She started with a shaky hand, stuck positioned in front of her canvas, but no quite able to touch the white.

They were here. Indigo tried to run away from them, but she knew better. You can't run. Maybe she would get lucky, they wouldn't notice her, and her life would stay quiet and peaceful.

"Class, I would like to introduce one of our new students E—" "Sweet Pea. Just call me Sweet Pea." Indigo's heart fell into her stomach. There is no running.

  "Well, go ahead and choose your spot, Mr. Sweet Pea." Grey paint splattered onto her already stained pant legs as Indigo's shaking grew violent.

Sweet Pea simply smiled taking his spot next to her. "Perfect choice,
Mr. Pea. Indigo explain to you our assignment."

   Indigo faked a smile, setting her paintbrush back down on her easel. "Sure thing, Mrs. G." Mrs. Gonzalez gave the pair one last warm smile before taking her spot back at her desk.

"They said you left state." Indigo ignored her brother's old friend's statement handing him her palette deciding she'd get a new one. "The assignment is to paint your worst nightmare. To convey the fear you feel every time your dreams go dark."

"They don't know what you are, do they? They don't know you used to be one of us." He would tell them. He'd ruin everything she built.

Indigo stood, heading to the back of the classroom to find a new painting palette as she had given hers away. Sweet Pea followed her pushing off his stool roughly.

"How long do you think it'll take for them to find out? How long till they find out your just another filthy snake like us?" Indigo whipped around so abruptly she was sure Sweet Pea would run into her.

He almost did. Their bodies stood mere inches apart, and Indigo couldn't deny the goosebumps that arose across her arms. "I'm nothing like you," she whispered more to herself than him. "If you want to tell, so be it. But I couldn't stay with you. As far as I'm concerned, you're the reason Christian's dead. So, so what if I didn't want to mention you guys to all my new friends?"

"Is there a problem, Mr. Pea?" Indigo had never once been so thankful to hear Mrs. Gonzalez' voice. "No ma'am. I was just helping Indigo get a new palette."

Very well, hurry now. Sweet Pea flashed a charming smile the teacher's way before looking back down on Indigo. "I won't tell," he whispered. "I'll make sure the others don't either."

Indigo inhaled realizing she had been holding her breath since her body realized how close she was to Sweet Pea. "Thank you."

"Not for you; for Christian."