Chapter 1 The house

The smell of burning wood and smoke filled my ten year old nose, yells of the firefighters and police officers are loud but I hear no sound. I only see their lips moving. I just keep my eyes focused on the burning house and away from the body bags that now hold my family. 

"How is she?" A voice asked as my hearing came back, I learned it was a man's voice, the voice didn't sound familiar to me but it sounded worried nonetheless. 

"She hasn't said a word, the officers tried to get information but she just looked like she was in another world." A new female voice replied.

“Let me try and talk to her, she is the only one that would know what happened, this was no accident,” the man's voice harding with every word he speaks. His heavy footsteps get louder as he walks over to me. My back was uncomfortably against a police car and my pants were wet from the water that leaked from the ash that used to be a house not too long ago. 

“Hello my name is Agent Gebson can i ask you a few things?” Gebson asked me, he had no sympathy which I liked. All the other officers talked to me as if I could break at any second, but I am way passed that at this point. I just waved my hand in acknowledgement, never breaking eye contact with the ghost of the house that was no longer there. 

“Okay, Storm right?” I nodded, “was there anything unusual going on, maybe a person or car that you would not normally see around the house?” He asked questions and I never answered, just like all the others who tried to get me to talk. After a few more attempts to make me speak he gives up saying I was probably in shock and to let the paramedics take me now. Everything is muted and  nothing really matters but the good side to all of this is that I am out and they can’t hurt me anymore. 

     “Hello, can you please jump on the stretcher and you’ll be on your way to the hospital to get checked out,” a lady in a blue shirt asked me and I did as she asked. 

The ride to the hospital was really long and the roads had so many pot holes you wouldn’t have thought that you were on a road at all. By the time that I got to the hospital, I could hear the news people buzzing around the ambulance, they were already asking questions even though the paramedics had yet to open the door. 

             “What happened?” one asked.

             “Should we be worried ourselves?” another voice asked

             “How did the fire break out?”  the third voice asked

             “Was it done on purpose?” the fourth voice asked

              “Who did this?” the fifth voice asked 

            “What are the living arrangements of the girl?” the final voice yelled above them all.

The last question did spark something in me, I realised; where was I going to go?  I do not have any living family members that I know of, so that unanswered question really got to me. 

              “You ready to go out there kid?” the lady in the blue shirt asked me. 

The whole time that I have been back here with her , about twenty minutes, we didn't have a single conversation, it was just silence but not that awkward kind that makes you feel uneasy, but it's as if she knew that I didn't want to talk or answer questions and she respected that and stayed quiet. I hesitantly nodded my head with an emotionless face; I kept saying in my head that it will be okay and I have nothing to be worried about, nothing bad is going to happen, that I’ll be okay.
The doors open and the loud unpleasant voices hit my ears with a big bang. I instantly had a really bad headache, I feel as if a hammer had hit my head over and over till I was scared that my head might explode. The news reporters tried to reach out and put a microphone in my face so I could answer their questions. I ended up getting hit in the face by them a couple times. By the time I got into the hospital room the nurse in the blue shirt looked as if she had been trampled a few times. Her long, shiny, brown hair, that was up in a tight bun, was now half falling down; the light pink lipgloss was smeared across her face, and the sign of frustration was very clear. 

    “I’m sorry I didn’t think they would be at the back door, the security could not hold them  back and they found out where you..., sorry.” She looked at me with a small smile and walked out without another word. I could hear her light footsteps and the door creaked open and closed.