Chapter Fifty-Two

Start from the beginning

Peeta scoffs, "Oh yeah?" He asks.

"Okay, just Dylan." I say plain and simple.

Peeta just laughs, "Well, he AND Delly can get over it." He says, making a sharp turn in the road.

We sit there awkwardly in the car and I decide to speak up again, "I found this picture of us the other day." I start and hope to catch his attention.

"What's that?" He asks.

I smile, "Remember your first sleepover with me at Finnick's?" I ask.

Peeta laughs, "One of the best nights of my entire single life." He says.

"Remember how we were sent on that pizza and movie run?"

"Mm hm." Peeta says with a smirk.

"It was when we stuck the pepperonis on each other's faces and-"

"Rudolph." Peeta laughs.

I remember that, "Yes." I giggle.

"Clown."

I smile and nudge his elbow, "That was a really fun night." I tell him truthfully.

Peeta agrees, "That was the night I knew I wanted to be with you forever. You told me about everything and that's the moment I realized I would do whatever it takes to be your missing piece." He says.

I feel my body shiver at his words, "You were definitely successful." I say proudly.

(A long while later)

Peeta pulls up to the gate his grandparents land and opens the gate and we pull in.

I look at the dead trees on either side of the gravel road and frown.

"Not too pretty out here when it's nearly winter, is it?" Peeta tells me, driving down the winding road.

I shake my head, "Not really." I say.

All the usual green grass is yellow and the trees are bare and the leaves have all blown away so there's not much color or any sign of life until you reach the bottom.

Peeta pulls up in front of the two story house in between two large evergreen trees.

"It'll be okay." He says, patting my leg and kissing my cheek.

I smile, "I know." I assure him.

Peeta smiles at me and gets out of the car and I follow, he grips my hand and we walk up the wooden path to the door.

Peeta gives a few knocks, "Come in." I hear his grandmother holler.

Peeta opens the door up and guides me into the house, "Hello, dears." His grandma says, hugging us both.

That's a good sign.

I smile awkwardly.

"Katniss, right?" She asks with her hand gently on my back.

"Yes, ma'am." I say with a smile.

Peeta's grandma smiles welcomingly at us, "Come sit down. Food will be ready soon and Grandpa Mellark just went to go get my mom." She says, walking back into the kitchen.

Peeta leads me over to the nice leather couches, "Here." He says, gesturing the seats below.

I take a seat and Peeta plops down beside me, I still grip his hand.

"Would you two like anything to drink? Some water or tea?" His grandma peaks her head in at us.

Peeta looks at me and I give him a look, he should know the answer.