One Of The Good Guys

En başından başla

Well... it probably wouldn't have bothered her if he did say that. She seems like the type to get dark humor.

They walked through the sewers until the reached a large tunnel entrance that lead into Gotham's city limits. Arthur noticed how the cave like entrance was decorated like a home. There was a mattress, a few tires as seats around a fire pit and a few boxes of crackers and jugs of water. He then realized that this was the women's home.

Homeless.

It never occurred to Arthur that someone out there could have it worse than him. Now it dawned on him that when he had a home to go to, this woman didn't. In a way, he felt like an ass.

"Mi casa es tu casa." She gestured to her man made paradise. "Need some water? I promise it's not from the sewer, I stole it.." She picked up one of the jugs and offered it to Arthur.

Arthur was thirsty. His mouth was dry and her asking him this made him realized how light headed he felt.

He nodded, taking the jug she offered and undid the cap. He smelled it just to make sure she wasn't lying but all he could smell was dried blood and the sewer behind them. On a chance, he took a sip. Just plain water.

He watched her as she took a cigarette from her jacket pocket and a lighter from the other. She glanced and him and offered him one.

For someone who didn't have much, she was generous.

Or perhaps she knew she could easily get more at another time.

Arthur politely declined, reaching into his pocket and pulling out a packet of his own. The woman smirked at him.

After lighting a smoke and starting a fire, they sat down on the conveniently placed tires and watched the fire.

Arthur couldn't stay silent forever. He needed to talk to her. Figure out why she helped him.

"Why were you at the station?" He finally spoke up, glancing up from the fire and at her. She puffed at her cigarette before her hand went to her skirt, lifting up above her thigh. Arthur spotted the gun holder around her thigh, and a gun he assumed was loaded.

"I was waiting for those Wall Street guys you killed.." She took the strap off and set it down beside her. "But it looks like you beat me to it."

"You were gonna rob them?" Arthur questioned, more so guessing. He could see the look in her eyes. A pained, anger hint in them.

"I was gonna do more than just rob them.." She bit at her cigarette, her gaze trailing down back to the flames. "You can already tell what type of guys they were. Perverts.." She hissed.

"What did they do to you?" Arthur asked, tapping at his cigarette bud and letting the ashes fall onto his shoe. He could see the pain in her eyes, maybe even tears.

"I think you can take a guess.." She glared up at him. It dawned on Arthur that the men he shot would've done the same thing to that woman on the train like they did to this one if he hadn't intervened. For once, he was grateful to take the beating for someone else. "I'm glad you shot them." She took another drag. "So what's your name, my knight in shining armor?"

"Um.. it's Arthur.."

"_____.." She smiled at him. A welcoming smile. One that made him feel like he actually belonged somewhere.. that place being the sewer. How fitting. "So.. not to point out the elephant in the room but.. you a party clown?"

"I am.." Arthur nodded. "Well.. was.. I got fired.." He said with a hint of venom in his voice. _____ could sense it. She could have sworn she recognized the makeup and clothing.