Doomed Since Birth

Start from the beginning

"I'm not too bothered. I was waiting for you to get home anyway. They've been keeping you late recently.." His brown's furrowed. "The diner closes at 10, why are you getting home after midnight?" He glanced back at _____, noticing she was starting to get dark circles under her eyes too.

"They started this stupid shit when they want us to stay late to close out. It's ridiculous.." She rubbed her temples, her body slowly sinking further into the bath. "What I'd give to sleep in.."

"I hear that.." Arthur chuckled, his gaze trailing back to the wall. "_____.. you think I'm funny, right?" He asked, his leg shaking anxiously. _____ furrowed her brow.

"Did someone say you weren't?" She wrapped her arms around his neck, her head leaning against his.

"You know how people are.. and I've been trying real hard to start my career so you don't have to keep working these long shifts.."

"Arthur, you don't need to be so harsh on yourself." _____ softly massaged her brother's head, her fingers running through his hair. "You and I knew what we were getting ourselves into when mom became ill."

The twins sat there for a moment in silence. _____ could feel her brother struggle to keep his laughter in. Lack of sleep and his negative thoughts were tempting him to fall into an upsetting episode. _____ kissed the side of his head to comfort him. She felt him relax in her arms and reach up, his hand resting on hers.

"I love you, _____.." He muttered, sounding emotionless.

"I love you too, Arthur." She sighed, pulling away from her brother. She pulled the drain and stood up, grabbing the towel off the rack and wrapping it around her naked body. The cold air caused her to shiver with goosebumps.

Arthur stood up finally and helped his sister out of the bath. As she shivered he rubbed she shoulders to get the blood pumping, warming her up. _____ looked up at him and sleepily smiled. Arthur returned the smile and kissed her forehead.

"Come on, I'll get you some clothes.."

"Thanks, Artie.."

----

The harsh sound of the alarm clock at 6 am jolted the twins awake. She found themselves wrapped in each other's embrace on the couch. They must have fallen asleep as soon as they hit the couch. _____ got up and turned the alarm off, stretching out her limbs and yawning. Arthur sat up as watched his sister. His eyes trailed her body as she stretched, causing the large shirt she worse to rise and show her underwear. Arthur quickly looked away from she could catch him peeking.

She walked to the kitchen to start a thing of coffee. Arthur followed her in and rested his hands on her hips. Today was his day off, but she had to go in.

"Call out sick." He suggested. "We can go back to sleep and just relax today."

"As much as I'd love to, I can't call out on them. It's Sunday, we're gonna be packed." _____ chuckled, already able to feel her joints become sore. God, she hated her job.

"Tell them you got it bad. I could call them for you just for convincing." Arthur turned his sister so she was facing him. His defined frame cause her to grow a tugging in her chest. He never ate much anymore. He would cook for her and their mother, but she never saw him eat. She could almost point out every bone in his body he was so starved. She wondered how he was able to stand at all.

"I can't, Arthur. The money I make today could really help us."_____ grabbed her cup of coffee and walked back to the living room. "If we were living like the Waynes I would never leave my bed. Ever." She sat down on the couch, sipping from her mug. Arthur rolled his eyes at the mentioning of the Waynes. First his mother wouldn't stop talking about them and now his sister.