Introduction

I never wanted to be a soldier. I lived a life away from others. I would work out occasionally and should I say I'm pretty buff. I could shoot,but it was only small firearms and a hunting rifle. Life in Ukraine wasn't very exciting. I was only 18. And then my name made it worse. "Teil Visla". What type of name. I would always be bullied about it and how antisocial I was. I was pretty much an outcast. I would sit in my room and pretend to be a great general,me studying different tactics. When I heard my country was going to war I thought it be a good chance to prove my skill. We were a pretty American-based nation,saying they helped us win against Russia in 2026. We owed them a great debt. At the recruitment station we where tested for tactics,physical skill,mental skills, and emotional relationships. I excelled in these categories,saying I had nothing better to do. I was taken to a room with at least 40 other recruits. A well dressed man sat at a desk,his head in other papers. The escort was talking to the well dressed man and handed him a file. I had a feeling it was mines. The well dressed man looked up directly at me twice. "Visla,Teil. Come forward". He continued to call names,but the fact that mines was first. My file was in the middle of the stack,and it was purposely fished out. He finished calling names,and more than half of the group was still seated. It was a good 11 of us standing. He stood up revealing a full military suit. I could tell he was a general by how well-decorated he was. He began to speak,his voice stern and assuring. "All of you tested well,but the ones standing will be going this deployment. These are your commanding officers for when you reach the field" he said. That sentence made me feel special. I had a spike of bravery shoot up my spine. But I was still doubting if I would make a good soldier. Let alone a good commanding officer. "Those I picked and are standing will leave by Wednesday. If you are not sure of the day it's Sunday. The other will leave next week with a larger group. Those picked would you please follow the escort out the door" he finished. I turned and followed the group. A man walked up from behind me,no older than I am,and tapped me. "Is it weird that General sonata called you first?" "That's his name" I asked. "Not the most regular of names. I did but I pay no mind to it now. Speaking of names,you are?" "Emaly yugoti, I was fifth to be called." "Ahh,are you excited to be shipped out?" "To be honest,I kinda wanted to be with the other guys. I take orders better than I give them". "Yet here you are. In the commanding officers group. I wish I could say the same. I like being in command. What I like to keep in mind is,treat your men as they are you. Would you want to be sent into hell without backup? Or lead the flanking around a corner? When I get out there on the field I will make sure to throw myself out there first than anyone of them. Because I know if it would be them getting shot,it'll be up to me to tell their parents. And I can't live with that". "But who will tell your parents when you don't return home from your tour? These things are hard. Eh man,your pretty cool. Hope we end up in the same division as each other". The conversation was over once we stepped outside. I headed home thinking about our conversation. Thinking about why my name was first. Thinking if this all was a mistake...