Chapter 10: The Most Dangerous Game

The Next Night

Kaya

An entire fucking year.

That's how long it took me to find Liliana. Flanked by Teyo and Rat, I walked towards her Manor.

"Are you sure it's a good idea to just dive in head first?" Teyo asked.

"What could happen? Zombies? I specialize in killing what's already dead." I replied.

"I mean for Rat and I. You may be good with that sort of thing, but we aren't.".

I sighed. "I don't see any zombies. It should be safe.".

"And if it's not?".

"Teyo, you're a Shield Mage. Stop acting helpless," I joked. "Let's just go in, kill Vess, and get out.".

"I still think we should try and hear her side of the story," Rat chimed in. "Maybe there's a reason she bided her time.".

"Rat, we're not here to listen to stories. We're here to complete a contract." I stated.

"I still don't like it. It feels wrong." She complained.

"This isn't about wrong and right. This is about clearing my name. We need to kill her, whether you like it or not. You don't need to be part of this if you don't want to. Just don't get in my way." I explained, pulling out one of my daggers.

Rat shook her head and pulled out her own daggers. "You're my friend, Kaya. I'll help. But that doesn't mean I like this.".

"Good. Now, let's get this done quickly.".

We approached the Manor and met little resistance. Only a few undead, which I quickly rendered fully dead. One quick stab through the chest.

The interior, however, was not as easy. The place reeked of decay, and the high ceilings and long hallways served only to confuse us and amplify the moans of the undead that skulked through them.

"This feels like that time I accidentally got lost in The Undercity. Lots of moaning. And clicking. And roaring. And squelching. And-".

"I think we get the point, Rat," Teyo interrupted. "Nasty things make nasty sounds.".

She smiled. "Yep, pretty much.".

I chuckled at their exchange. They always seemed to lighten the mood when they were with me, and I appreciated that. "As much as I enjoy your banter, try and keep it to a minimum. I don't want someone to hear us.".

"Yeah, it would be bad if someone heard you," a new voice said. "Failed there, ya see.”.

I turned around to see a boy of eighteen leaning against a railing, testing the coils of a vicious whip. "It's been a year. Did it really take you that long to find Miss Vess? You're not exactly the best tracker, but, tracking skills aside, it's an honor to meet you. The Killer of The Obzedat. The Usurper of The Opulent Church. Kaya, Ghost Assassin. I wish I had a resume like that.".

"Well, I wasn't expecting to meet another Ravnican here," I said in response. "Given your outfit, I'd say you're either Rakdos or Gruul.".

"Rakdos. Now, pleasantries aside. You're not supposed to be here." He said, uncoiling his whip and cracking it, setting the length of material alight.

I nodded at Teyo. His arms began to glow as geometry flashed onto his hands. Rat drew her daggers and got into a ready stance. "We're not leaving until Vess is dead." I said firmly.

The boy chuckled. "Sounds like a deal to me. We're going to be here a while." He said, cracking his whip.

I gritted my teeth and dashed forward.