9

LOVE AND WAR
— 9. Heartbreak

    Nora attempted to scream for help, but was stopped when the unknown man placed a hand over her mouth

   Nora attempted to scream for help, but was stopped when the unknown man placed a hand over her mouth. She tried to kick him, but her legs were pinned by his.

"You can't be queen if you're not a virgin," He growled lowly, causing Nora's eyes to widen in horror.

Her instincts kicking in, Nora jerked her head forward, headbutting the man in the face. The man let go of her, clutching his nose. She kneed him in the groin before roughly pushing him off of her.

She jumped out of the bed, running for the door. Just as her hand was about to grasp the doorknob, he had grabbed her by the waist.

"Help, help!" She screamed at the top of her lungs, attempting to push the man off.

Without thinking, she spat in his face, causing the man to backhand her. Her body ended up whipping around, her face colliding with the ground.

She cried out in pain, a throbbing sensation in her cheek. A pain far worse than the numerous times her mother had slapped her throughout her life.

Her eyes widened in realization as the man attempted to kneel between her legs. No guards were helping her because the guards were on the man's side.

It couldn't be.

The only one capable of commanding royal guards to do such a thing was the king himself.

Edward couldn't do such a thing.

As she continued to fight the man who was attempting to pry her legs apart, her eyes locked on her desk, which had her plate of dinner laid out on it, including a knife to cut her meat.

With all the strength she had, she kicked the man in the groin once more. He grunted in pain, stumbling backward. As he was recovering, Nora shot up from her lying position and bolted toward her desk. The man chased after her and by the time he had reached her, she had grabbed ahold of the knife.

He went to grab her by the arm and as he did so, Nora whipped herself around to face him. She wasted no time stabbing the man in the throat, gasping loudly as the blood spilled from her would-be rapists' throat.

His eyes widened and he clutched his throat, choking on his own blood as he fell straight to the ground.

Nora stood in place, blood covering her dress and chest as she stared down at the man's dying body.

She tightly grasped the handle of the knife in her trembling hand. Tears began to fill her eyes, horrified by what she had done.

He might have been attempting to rape her, but it didn't change the fact that she had taken a life.

Overcoming her shock, Nora rushed to the door. She opened it, running out of the room and down the hall. She began to scream for the guards, seeming to forget about the part that they had done nothing as she screamed for help moments before when she was being attacked.