Chapter # 5

...Even though our time together was brief. Even though your fingers intertwined with mine for a brief moment. But, it was the most everlasting moment of my life...

Evelyn POV:-

I stood still at the Altar with my trampled dream of becoming- Never mind. My blank mind was clouded with different emotions like fear and heartbreak.

I felt like my soul is even giving up on me. I closed my eyes for a short-lived solace which I can never receive ever again.

I listened to the vows.

"And in happiness and sadness, I would stay by your side. Holding you close to me whenever you need me."

If I recall correctly, Lawrence wrote his vows himself. I never thought I'd be listening to these and like that.

That moment I want to leave everything and run without caring for a thing in the world. Away from all this tribulation. But I know I can't.

My dried lips and hollow self prepare itself for what the priest is going to say next,

"Do you, Lawrence Bayford, Take Evelyn Sawyer as your lawful wife?"

"I do," Lawrence said in a firm manner and a feeling of my heart being torn rushed in my every vein.

Even Adrian's rejection didn't hurt like that; it's inexplicable.

"Do you, Evelyn Sawyer, Take Lawrence Bayford as your lawful husband?" Silence fell upon the hall as I tried to speak but my vocal cords can't even produce a single sound.

It's like my voice is stuck in my throat. I was stiff as a deadly calm took over. Like the calm before unimaginable chaos.

"Evelyn?" The priest called my name again as the voice which was stuck in my throat was released.

I took a deep breath and said farewell to my dreams and the thoughts which were impossible and now became truly impossible.

"I do.." My voice came out like a vague whisper.

"I pronounce you as husband and wife."

And here I am officially becoming Mrs Evelyn Lawrence Bayford. Becoming Mrs. Bayford with the most unexpected person.

I don't have words to explain how I feel burning, a strange sensation I cannot encrypt. How I was coming here just to catch a glimpse of him and now I am the wife of his Brother.

The dream I held dear in my heart shattered in a few seconds. I wished I never liked him So that I never came here and all this happened.

I lost myself in misery when the priest announced;

"You may now kiss the bride."

I never imagined even in my dream that I would lose my first kiss in front of him and by his brother. The feeling of awkwardness is immense.

I looked down as I felt a sudden knot in my heart as my heart began to beat at an abnormal pace. I swallow the lump in my throat.

Lawrence lifted my veil as my gaze was fixed on the ground. I thought Lawrence would lean in and kiss me on my lips but instead, I felt him getting away.

"Evellyn." My heart skipped a beat when he called my name.

I stood still, an unwanted feeling of disapproval filled me. I don't know how that feeling was built inside me but it was unwanted.

I was lost in my thoughts as I felt hands wrapping around my waist and pulling me close. I let out a soft voice of gasp when Lawrence pulled me close to him.