~Twelve~

twelve

"Something's coming!"

Rushing forward through the woodlands, Gandalf led the dwarves and the hobbit into an open field. Hartlyn followed them, her senses on high alert and Jon at her back like a deadly, protective shadow. His usual quiet demeanour was gone when he ordered them all as they kept running, acting and commanding them like the King of the North he refused himself to be called, "Stay together! Arm yourselves!"

He drew his sword, the dwarves readied their weapons and Gandalf gripped his staff tightly. Bilbo quietly slid closer to Hartlyn as she gently pulled her wand from its holster.

The cracking of branches and fallen twigs made all attention snap toward the forest they had just escaped. Tension tightened around them until-

"Thieves! Fire! Murder!"

The Northern King and Queen glanced at each other with humorous expressions. Bilbo looked curious while the Dwarves tensed even further, unknowing of just who this intruder was and Gandalf seemed somewhat relieved.

"Radagast. Radagast!"

Hartlyn grinned at the name, her mouth twitching in delight. The small wizard had birds in his matted hair and moss in his beard. Not to mention how he was dressed.

Jon moved closer to his love, sliding his arm around her waist and brushing his lips over her cheekbone.

"It's Radagast the Brown!"

"And what is he doing here, Gandalf?" Hartlyn's soft voice held wonder and held a silent demand, turning her narrowed gaze at the taller Istari.

The short wizard turned to the two and his eyes widened, "The King and Queen of the North!" He bowed, "What a pleasure to see you both, despite the happenings of now."

He stopped for a short second like he was trying to think of what he was there for in the first place. Radagast then sucked in a breath, remembering it when he turned his gaze to the one in grey, "I was looking for you, Gandalf. Something's wrong. Something's terribly wrong."

Hartlyn left her King's embrace, concerned for the wizard. Jon clenched his jaw and his fist, his face darkening, not liking that his soulmate had left his embrace.

She leant down with worry in her eyes as she placed a hand on his cheek, "Dear Radagast, what has caused this? You are shaken beyond belief? What is wrong?"

His brown eyes met her glowing green orbs and he mumbled, "I had a thought...and now I've lost it."

He turned to Gandalf, away from Hartlyn's comforting touch, "It was right there on the tip of my tongue. Oh."

The Grey wizard reached his hand toward his dear friend's face, "It's not a thought at all. It's a silly old..." and pulled out a, "...stick insect."

The Mistress blinked her eyes several times, not knowing what to think as Gandalf gently placed the insect in Radagast's palm. She shuddered and walked back to Jon and pressed her face into his shoulder, "Eww."

Having seen the whole thing, he snorted and stroked her hair, "It's just a bug, my love."

"In his mouth..." Hartlyn muttered.