Chapter Twenty-Five: The Search Begins

"Alright. What have we got so far?" Voight asked coming out of his office, time was against them and the last thing that he wanted was for this clock to run out; they had failed Caitlyn once already and they would not do it again. 

There was nothing that he would ever be able to say that would take away from the fact that they had already given her up for dead; now they had the chance to bring her home and they could not fail. 

"I pinged Edward's phone. He's been a pretty busy in the last few hours but he seems to have stuck around this area a lot in the past few months," Antonio said moving towards the map of Chicago that was pinned to the board. 

He jabbed his finger towards the pins that highlighted where Edward had frequented recently and where their search might take them. 

It was a large area but it was better than having to search the entire state of Illinois for her, something that they certainly didn't have time for especially considering how fast the countdown was going. 

"I've sent a patrol car out to the area to check out one of the addresses that was pinged most frequent but I'm not holding out much hope," Antonio stated looking back to the group, he wasn't sure what they would find but he very much doubted that the address that Edward had been hiding held any clues. 

Given the man was smugly sitting in one of their interrogation rooms and he seemed to have no intentions of sharing anymore information with them on what he had done with Caitlyn. 

His words made Jay glare at him, they had given up once and this time they had a countdown working against them; he wouldn't give up not with Caitlyn counting on them right now. 

He couldn't imagine how she was feeling right now especially hearing from Alvin what Edward liked to really do with his victims, if he had done the same to her then she would be terrified. 

"What about his past victims? Is there anything we can learn from what he's done in the past?" Jay asked looking at the old files behind him, they had dug up everything that they could find on the old case. 

There were plenty of them and there had to be something in them that could help them now, something that could hold a clue into where Edward had buried Caitlyn alive.

"Nothing. I've had the last location he used searched for any sign of clues that someone would have been buried there but nothing has turned up yet," Hank stated with a frown, he didn't know what Edward might have done this time but the way that he was talking didn't give him much to work with. 

There was no doubt in his mind that whatever Edward had done to Caitlyn that it was something that he didn't plan on her living through; he wanted to punish her and only her life would be payment enough for betraying him. 

Picking up the phone on her desk when it started ringing, Erin pressed it to her ear and listened while the rest of the team tried to work out what their next move would be. 

She frowned hearing the news that was being passed on and glanced towards Jay, she had no idea what to make of what she was being told but that this news could end up with him getting news. 

"Patrol found something at one of the addresses that Edward was frequenting. They think it's where he was hiding," Erin told the others, hanging up the phone and turning to look at the others, her eyes staying focused on Jay as she broke the news. 

Her stomach twisted at the look of hope on his face and she had to force herself to look away knowing that whatever had happened between them was over now; she wouldn't deny that she had feelings for him and he would have been the one she had settled for.